Find the slope of the tangent line (ii)

In summary, the problem is finding the slope of the tangent line to the curve given by 2(x^2 + y^2)^2 = 25(x^2 - y^2) at the point (-3, -1) using implicit differentiation. After solving for the derivative, the correct value for the slope is -9/13, not -3.
cal.queen92

Homework Statement

Find the slope of the tangent line to the curve:

2(x^2 + y^2)^2 = 25(x^2 - y^2)

at the point (-3, -1)

Homework Equations

Implicit differentiation

The Attempt at a Solution

2(x^2 + y^2)^2 = 25(x^2 - y^2)

1. 4(x^2 + y^2)(2x + 2y(dy/dx)) = 25(2x - 2y(dy/dx))

2. (4x^2 + 4y^2)(2x + 2y(dy/dx)) = 50x - 50y(dy/dx)

3. 8x^3 + 8x^2*y(dy/dx) + 8xy^2 + 8y^3(dy/dx) = 50x - 50y(dy/dx)

4. 8x^2*y(dy/dx) + 8y^3(dy/dx) + 50y(dy/dx) = 50x - 8x^3 - 8xy^2

5. therefore: dy/dx = (50x - 8x^3 - 8xy^2)/(8x^2*y + 8y^3 + 50y)

then when i plug in the values of x and y, i obtain an answer of -3, but this is incorrect!

Can anyone see where I am going wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your arithmetic must be wrong. When I plug your numbers into your derivative I get -9/13.

What is the slope of a tangent line?

The slope of a tangent line is the rate of change of a curve at a specific point. It represents the direction and steepness of the curve at that point.

How do you find the slope of a tangent line?

To find the slope of a tangent line, you need to use the derivative of the function at the given point. The derivative is the instantaneous rate of change of the function at that point. Once you have the derivative, you can plug in the x-value of the point into the derivative to find the slope of the tangent line.

What is the difference between a tangent line and a secant line?

A tangent line touches the curve at a single point, while a secant line intersects the curve at two points. The slope of a tangent line represents the instantaneous rate of change at that point, while the slope of a secant line represents the average rate of change between the two points.

Can a tangent line be horizontal or vertical?

Yes, a tangent line can be horizontal or vertical. A horizontal tangent line means that the slope of the curve at that point is equal to 0, while a vertical tangent line means that the slope is undefined.

Why is finding the slope of a tangent line important?

Finding the slope of a tangent line is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a curve at a specific point. It can also be used to find the maximum and minimum points of a curve, which is useful in optimization problems. The slope of a tangent line can also be used to find the equation of the tangent line, which is necessary in many applications of calculus.