Find the Smallest Cosine Value | POTW #496 | February 15, 2022

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, the "Find the Smallest Cosine Value" challenge tests understanding of cosine values and the ability to find the smallest value in a set. It requires basic knowledge of trigonometry and mathematical functions, and can be solved using any programming language. One efficient tip is to sort the numbers before calculating cosine values.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Let $a,\,b$ and $c$ be three real numbers such that $\cos a+\cos b+\cos c=1$ and $\sin a+\sin b+\sin c=1$.

Find the smallest possible value of $\cos a$.

-----

Physics news on Phys.org
I get ##-\frac 14(1+\sqrt 7)##.
Hint:

Combine the two constraint equations into one complex one. Visualise the minimisation of cos a in the complex plane and consider what that means for the other two points.

Write ##\alpha=\cos(a)+i\sin(a)## etc.
##\alpha+\beta+\gamma=1+i##.
Minimising cos a means getting ##\alpha## as close as possible to ##-1##, which means getting ##\beta+\gamma## as close as possible to 2+i.
Since ##|\beta|\leq 1##, ##|\gamma|\leq 1## and ##|2+i|>2##, that implies ##\beta=\gamma##.
The rest is algebra.

Last edited:
Likes anemone
I got the same answer.

I looked at it as the vector equation ##\vec A + \vec B + \vec C = \vec R## where ##\vec A##, ##\vec B##, and ##\vec C## are unit vectors with directions ##a##, ##b##, and ##c## respectively, and ##\vec R = \hat i + \hat j##. When ##\vec A## points as far counterclockwise from the ##x##-axis as possible, ##\vec B## and ##\vec C## have to be parallel, so we end up with a triangle where we know the length of all three sides. Then the angle ##a## can be found using the law of cosines.
[\ispoiler]

Likes anemone

1. What is the purpose of finding the smallest cosine value?

The purpose of finding the smallest cosine value is to identify the smallest angle between two vectors or the smallest distance between two points in a multi-dimensional space. This value is often used in various mathematical and scientific calculations.

2. How is the smallest cosine value determined?

The smallest cosine value can be determined by using mathematical formulas or algorithms that involve calculating the cosine of various angles and comparing them to find the smallest value. This can also be done graphically by plotting the cosine values and identifying the smallest point on the graph.

3. What are some real-world applications of finding the smallest cosine value?

Some real-world applications of finding the smallest cosine value include image and signal processing, data compression, machine learning, and optimization problems in engineering and physics. It is also used in navigation systems, robotics, and computer graphics.

4. Can the smallest cosine value be negative?

Yes, the smallest cosine value can be negative. The cosine function can take values between -1 and 1, so the smallest value can be any number between these two limits, including negative numbers.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the smallest cosine value?

One limitation of finding the smallest cosine value is that it only considers two vectors or points at a time and does not take into account the overall distribution of data. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculation depends on the precision of the input values and the chosen mathematical method.