Find the temperature of air given frequency and wavelength?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 17K views
miamirulz29
Messages
62
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A sound wave has a frequency of 722 hz and a wavelength of .54 m. What is the temperature of the air? Assume the velocity of sound at 0 degrees Celsius is 327 m/s.


Homework Equations


V= lambda * frequency


The Attempt at a Solution


I have no idea what to from there? The velocity of the wave is 389.88 m/s. Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find out the relation between temperature and the velocity of the sound in the air?
 
How do I know what the velocity of the sound in the air is?
 
miamirulz29 said:
How do I know what the velocity of the sound in the air is?
It is given. 327 m/s at zero degree Celsius.
 
So would you set up a proportion?

327/389=0/x

But you can't do that because x would be zero.
 
In this problem temperature must be in absolute scale.
So V/Vo = Sqrt(T/To)