1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the time (t) - (linear problems)

1. Aug 30, 2006 #1
    I've decided to give these a different approach. Thanks for the contribution, and sorry for missing the guidelines about posting one's attempts. I might be back to this same thread.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2006 #2

mezarashi

Homework Helper

You say you disagree with your textbook on the solutions. Would it be possible for you to elaborate on your approach that leads to these disagreements?

4. Aug 30, 2006 #3
    It might be just easier, for you as well as me, if I could get some answers and approaches from different people.

5. Aug 31, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm afraid that this is not possible without you first showing your efforts at the two questions, according to our posting guidelines;
    If you could perhaps detail your efforts we could comment on the validity of your solutions.

6. Aug 31, 2006 #5
    Hi. I'm not going to provide any solution to the qns. However, i can provide you with some hints.

For qn 1) What you could do is to consider the 4 eqns of motion. Form two eqns using one of the eqns and finally, by doing some little manipulation, You should be able to get the ans. Not sure if i'm right but i think the time is 0.822s?

For qn 2) What's the initial velocity? Did the locomotive start from rest or wat?

Perhaps, you could provide us with ur textbook solution and tell us where the prob lies so we can perhaps better analyse the prob.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?