Find the time (t) - (linear problems)

• Thread starter Escalefter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the two students are seeking assistance for their homework from other students on Physics Forums. They state that they will not post their solutions or attempts, but will provide hints and tell us where the problem lies.
Escalefter
I've decided to give these a different approach. Thanks for the contribution, and sorry for missing the guidelines about posting one's attempts. I might be back to this same thread.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You say you disagree with your textbook on the solutions. Would it be possible for you to elaborate on your approach that leads to these disagreements?

It might be just easier, for you as well as me, if I could get some answers and approaches from different people.

Escalefter said:
It might be just easier, for you as well as me, if I could get some answers and approaches from different people.
I'm afraid that this is not possible without you first showing your efforts at the two questions, according to our posting guidelines;
Physics Forums Global Guidelines said:
Homework Help:
On posting questions: Any and all high school and undergraduate homework assignments or textbook style exercises for which you are seeking assistance are to be posted in our Science Education Zone. This should be done whether or not the problem is part of one's coursework. The reason for this is that the scientific and mathematical sections of Physics Forums are to be reserved for discussions and not academic assistance. Since graduate level assignments are meant to be more thought provoking (and hence more worthy of discussion), graduate level questions will be allowed in the relevant part of the main section of PF, provided that the graduate student attempts the problem and shows his work. NOTE: You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help.

On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.
If you could perhaps detail your efforts we could comment on the validity of your solutions.

Hi. I'm not going to provide any solution to the qns. However, i can provide you with some hints.

For qn 1) What you could do is to consider the 4 eqns of motion. Form two eqns using one of the eqns and finally, by doing some little manipulation, You should be able to get the ans. Not sure if I'm right but i think the time is 0.822s?

For qn 2) What's the initial velocity? Did the locomotive start from rest or wat?

Perhaps, you could provide us with ur textbook solution and tell us where the prob lies so we can perhaps better analyse the prob.

1. What is the formula for finding the time (t) in linear problems?

The formula for finding the time (t) in linear problems is t = d/v, where t is time, d is distance, and v is velocity.

2. How do you solve for time in a linear problem if the distance (d) and velocity (v) are given?

To solve for time in a linear problem if the distance (d) and velocity (v) are given, you can use the formula t = d/v. Simply plug in the given values for distance and velocity and solve for t.

3. Can you find the time in a linear problem if only the initial and final positions are given?

Yes, you can find the time in a linear problem if only the initial and final positions are given. This can be done by using the formula t = (xf - xi)/v, where t is time, xf is the final position, xi is the initial position, and v is velocity.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the time in a linear problem?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the time in a linear problem. Some examples include changes in acceleration, wind resistance, and friction. These factors may alter the velocity and therefore affect the time calculation.

5. How can you use the concept of finding time in linear problems in real-life situations?

The concept of finding time in linear problems can be used in various real-life situations, such as calculating travel time, predicting arrival times for transportation, and determining the speed of moving objects. It can also be applied in science and engineering fields for calculating the time it takes for an experiment to complete or for a machine to perform a task.