Find the total derivative of ##u## with respect to ##x##

In summary, the conversation discusses a solution to a problem involving derivatives and the textbook used. It is noted that there are errors in the textbook and a correction is suggested. The issue of total versus partial derivatives is also brought up.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached
Relevant Equations
total derivatives
see attached below; the textbook i have has many errors...

1644283613775.png

clearly ##f_x## is wrong messing up the whole working to solution...we ought to have;
##\frac {du}{dx}=(9x^2+2y)+(2x+8y)3=9x^2+2y+6x+24y=9x^2+6x+26y##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{du}{dx}=9x^2+2y+2x\frac{dy}{dx}+8y\frac{dy}{dx}=9x^2+2(3x+5)+2x3+8(3x+5)3[/tex]
Expression ##u_x## seems ambiguous to me. How can we change x without changing y?

Last edited:
Likes chwala
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: see attached
Relevant Equations:: total derivatives

see attached below; the textbook i have has many errors...

View attachment 296761

clearly ##f_x## is wrong messing up the whole working to solution...we ought to have;
##u_x=(9x^2+2y)+(2x+8y)3=9x^2+2y+6x+24y=9x^2+6x+26y##
Their answer has a typo. The very first term on the right side should be ##9x^2##, not ##6x^2##.

Likes chwala
anuttarasammyak said:
[tex]\frac{du}{dx}=9x^2+2y+2x\frac{dy}{dx}+8y\frac{dy}{dx}=9x^2+2(3x+5)+2x3+8(3x+5)3[/tex]
Expression ##u_x## seems ambiguous to me. How can we change x without changing y?
yeah..let me amend that... we want total derivative and not partial derivative...i posted this using my android phone and looks like i did not get it right...:cool:

Likes anuttarasammyak

What is the total derivative of a function?

The total derivative of a function is a measure of how much the output of the function changes when the input changes. It takes into account all of the variables that the function depends on.

What does it mean to find the total derivative of a function with respect to a variable?

When finding the total derivative of a function with respect to a variable, we are calculating the rate of change of the function with respect to that variable. This allows us to understand how the function will change as that variable changes.

How do you find the total derivative of a function?

To find the total derivative of a function, we use the chain rule and the product rule to take the derivative of each term in the function and then sum them together. This will give us the total derivative of the function with respect to the given variable.

Why is finding the total derivative important?

Finding the total derivative allows us to understand how a function changes in relation to its input variables. This is important in many areas of science, such as physics and economics, where we need to understand how different factors affect a system.

What are some real-world applications of finding the total derivative?

Finding the total derivative has many real-world applications, including predicting the trajectory of a projectile, optimizing production processes in manufacturing, and understanding the relationship between supply and demand in economics. It is also used in fields such as engineering, biology, and finance.