Find the value of x of the fourier series defined by

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about defining a Fourier series with boundaries between non-multiples of Pi and a specific boundary of 4<x<2Pi. The speaker is unsure of how to approach the solution and mentions the Dirichlet conditions. The expert suggests looking for information on the Dirichlet conditions in the textbook to determine when the function and its Fourier series are equal. The problem does not require calculating the Fourier series.
Zaent

Homework Statement

upload_2015-4-29_4-13-1.png

Homework Equations

upload_2015-4-29_4-14-32.png

The Attempt at a Solution

http://imgur.com/7TRWjBg

I don't really get what it's asking. I don't know how to define a Fourier series when the boundaries for X are between non-multiples of Pi. On top of that, it has one boundary that has 4<x<2Pi. How can it be between 4 and 2 Pi? My attempt at a solution seems like it has to be totally the wrong way to go about it

Physics news on Phys.org
Zaent said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 82737

Homework Equations

View attachment 82738

The Attempt at a Solution

http://imgur.com/7TRWjBg

I don't really get what it's asking. I don't know how to define a Fourier series when the boundaries for X are between non-multiples of Pi. On top of that, it has one boundary that has 4<x<2Pi. How can it be between 4 and 2 Pi? My attempt at a solution seems like it has to be totally the wrong way to go about it

Your function is defined between ##0## and ##2\pi##, with a couple of jump discontinuities. So you have the given ##f(x)## and its FS ##S(x)##. Do you know what the Dirichlet conditions are? Look in your book for that. It will tell you something about when ##f(x) = S(x)## and when it doesn't. This problem does not involve calculating the FS.

1. What is the Fourier series?

The Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is used to analyze and approximate a wide range of functions in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. How is the value of x determined in a Fourier series?

The value of x in a Fourier series is determined by the period of the function being analyzed. It represents the number of cycles of the function within a given interval.

3. What is the significance of the coefficients in a Fourier series?

The coefficients in a Fourier series represent the amplitude of the individual sine and cosine functions that make up the series. They provide important information about the frequency content of the original function.

4. Can any function be represented by a Fourier series?

Yes, any periodic function with a finite number of discontinuities can be represented by a Fourier series. However, some functions may require an infinite number of terms in the series to accurately represent them.

5. What are the applications of Fourier series in science?

Fourier series have a wide range of applications in science, including signal processing, image analysis, data compression, and solving differential equations. They are also used in fields such as acoustics, optics, and electrical engineering.