1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the variance of f(x) = 1/4 for -2<x<2

1. Mar 8, 2008 #1
    find the variance for f(x)= 1/4 for -2<x<2 & 0 elsewhere

The first thing I did was find the expected value, which was 1 (just integrated the original function from -2 to 2). Then I set up the next part as

[tex]\int (x-1)^2 (1/4) dx[/tex] with the limits -2 to 2

So it became
    1/4[tex]\int x^2-2x+1 dx[/tex]
    1/4(8/3-4+2)-1/4(-8/3+4-) =1/3
    However, the book has the answer 4/3, which is what you get if you don't multiply through by 1/4. Is this a conceptual error on my part, or a book error? Usually it ends up being me who is wrong :(.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sorry, but it is you. Your "conceptual error" is in the formula for the mean.

Integrating any probability density will give you 1- that's not the "mean", it is the total probability that the result is somewhere in that interval which is, by definition, 1. The mean is the integral of x times the probility density function. Here, that is
    [itex]\int_{-2}^2 x(1/4) dx[/itex].

4. Mar 8, 2008 #3
    Oops. Nevermind, it is my mistake. Forgot to square the x & divide by two. >.<

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?