1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the work done on a box on an inclined plane

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a constant force Fa of magnitude 85.0 N is applied to a 4.0 kg shoe box at angle φ = 53.0°, causing the box to move up a frictionless ramp at constant speed. How much work is done on the box by Fa when the box has moved through vertical distance h = 0.45 m?

heres the picture to explain where the phi comes from http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c07/pict_7_32.gif
    2. Relevant equations
    W=F dot D
    or W = FDcostheta

3. The attempt at a solution
    i know that if an object is going at constant speed it's net force is zero
    i tried solving for D which gave me .45/sintheta
    then i got y comp of the weight force = 4gsinthet
    the x comp of the wieght cut the phi angle in two = 53 - theta
    and using Fa and angle (53-thet) i got the force that balance the 4g sin = 85sin(53 - thet)

then i used 4g sinthet = 85sin(53 - thet) to find theta because the net force is zero
    i then put the theta i got into the D equation above.
    I then found the x and y components of D and the x and y compnents of F using the angle( 53-thet) and did the dot product of that which came out to be 59.51455753 J
    and it's wrong....
    the answer is 17.658 J...supposedly
    can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong? am i using the wrong angle or am i just going abot the problem wrong from the beginning? help please
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

How much work is done on the box by Fa when the box has moved through vertical distance h = 0.45 m?
    When the work is done on a body, its kinetic energy increases. But in the problem it is stated that the box moves with uniform velocity. How is that?
    Next the work done on the box = rise in potential energy of the box = m*g*h
    If you substitute the values you get the answer.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook