Find the work done on a box on an inclined plane

In summary, the problem involves a 4.0 kg shoe box moving up a frictionless ramp at constant speed under the influence of a constant force of magnitude 85.0 N at an angle of 53.0°. The question asks for the work done on the box as it moves through a vertical distance of 0.45 m. Using the equation for work, W=F*D, or W=FDcostheta, and considering the net force on the box to be zero due to its constant speed, the correct solution can be found by calculating the potential energy gained by the box, which is equal to its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity and the vertical distance it is moved. The answer is 17.
popo902

Homework Statement

a constant force Fa of magnitude 85.0 N is applied to a 4.0 kg shoe box at angle φ = 53.0°, causing the box to move up a frictionless ramp at constant speed. How much work is done on the box by Fa when the box has moved through vertical distance h = 0.45 m?

heres the picture to explain where the phi comes from http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c07/pict_7_32.gif

Homework Equations

W=F dot D
or W = FDcostheta

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that if an object is going at constant speed it's net force is zero
i tried solving for D which gave me .45/sintheta
then i got y comp of the weight force = 4gsinthet
the x comp of the wieght cut the phi angle in two = 53 - theta
and using Fa and angle (53-thet) i got the force that balance the 4g sin = 85sin(53 - thet)

then i used 4g sinthet = 85sin(53 - thet) to find theta because the net force is zero
i then put the theta i got into the D equation above.
I then found the x and y components of D and the x and y compnents of F using the angle( 53-thet) and did the dot product of that which came out to be 59.51455753 J
and it's wrong...
the answer is 17.658 J...supposedly
can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? am i using the wrong angle or am i just going abot the problem wrong from the beginning? help please

Physics news on Phys.org
How much work is done on the box by Fa when the box has moved through vertical distance h = 0.45 m?
When the work is done on a body, its kinetic energy increases. But in the problem it is stated that the box moves with uniform velocity. How is that?
Next the work done on the box = rise in potential energy of the box = m*g*h
If you substitute the values you get the answer.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of work in physics?

In physics, work is defined as the product of force and displacement. It is a measure of the energy transferred to or from an object by a force acting on it.

2. How is work calculated on a box on an inclined plane?

The work done on a box on an inclined plane is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the box by the distance the box moves along the inclined plane in the direction of the force.

3. What is the formula for calculating work on an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating work on an inclined plane is W = Fd cosθ, where W is the work, F is the force applied, d is the distance moved, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of motion.

4. How does the angle of inclination affect the work done on a box?

The angle of inclination affects the work done on a box by changing the component of the force parallel to the direction of motion. As the angle increases, the component of the force decreases, resulting in less work being done on the box.

5. Can the work done on a box on an inclined plane be negative?

Yes, the work done on a box on an inclined plane can be negative if the force and the displacement are in opposite directions. This means that the box is moving in the opposite direction of the applied force, resulting in work being done against the force.