1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find time given a force with respect to displacement

1. Jun 24, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    With a function that gives Force with respect to Displacement (F(x) = 2000-100x), is there a way to find a general formula for the time it takes from displacement 0 to 20? The force is acting on an object, pushing it horizontally. Assume no friction and no air resistance.

2. Relevant equations
    Force with respect to Displacement (x):
    F(x) = 2000-100x
    At 0 displacement, there's 2000 Newton of force acting on the object, and the force linearly decreases until there's no force at 20 meters away and beyond.

3. The attempt at a solution

Work = ∫ from 0 to b of (F * dx) = ∫ from 0 to b of (2000-100x) dx = -50(b- 40)b
    Work = Final Kinetic Energy - Initial Kinetic Energy. Initially, the object is stationary with no initial velocity, so I'm assuming that the initial Kinetic Energy is 0.

Work(b) = Kinetic Energy(b) = -50(b - 40)b = 0.5mv^2.

Solving for v, I get: v(b) = sqrt((2/m) * -50(b - 40)b)

From here, I'm tempted to plug velocity into this formula (Displacement = Velocity * Time) and solve for time, but I feel like this won't work.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2017 #2
    I think you only need Newtons II law to solve this. You get 2. order differencial equation. General formula has mass as variable.

4. Jun 25, 2017 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That is only true for constant velocity. The general expression is the integral of velocity wrt time. That will give you a differential equation to solve.
    The first integration stage from that equation produces the energy relation Kiwigami obtained, so there is no benefit in going that route.

5. Jun 25, 2017 #4
    I meant integrating over time.

6. Jun 25, 2017 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How are you going to do that, given acceleration as a function of distance?

7. Jun 25, 2017 #6
    just write Newton's II law(##\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial t^2}=F/m##) and replace F to function, that he gave. Doing that will result getting second-order linear ordinary differential equation. Also is known that displacement and speed at time 0 are 0.

8. Jun 25, 2017 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You did not answer my question. How are you going to integrate F, a function of x, with respect to time?

9. Jun 25, 2017 #8
    By writing Newton's II law(##\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial t^2}=F/m##) and replacing force F to function, that he gave and taking undefined time-integral of both sides. Taking this integral is not necessary.
    ##\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial t^2}=\frac{2000-100x}{m}## ⇔ ##x+k_1+k_2 \cdot t=\iint(dt^2 \cdot \frac{2000-100x}{m})## .
    by ##x(0)=0## and ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}(0)=0## we know that ##k_1=0## and ##k_2=0##.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  10. Jun 25, 2017 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I ask a third time, how are you going to perform that integral of x wrt time? Writing down the integral doesn't answer it, you actually need to integrate it.

11. Jun 25, 2017 #10
    It (##\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial t^2}=\frac{2000-100x}{m}##) is called differential equation. Before solving it I cant find that ##\iint(dt^2 \cdot \frac{2000-100x}{m})+k_3+k_4 \cdot t= c_2 \cdot sin(\frac{10 \cdot t}{\sqrt{m}}) + c_1 \cdot cos(\frac{10\cdot t}{\sqrt{m}}) +20##
    , but after solving it I can.

12. Jun 25, 2017 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

But having solved the D.E. by some other method, you do not need to do this integral, so writing it out as a double integral of x wrt t was a complete waste of time. Including mine.

13. Jun 25, 2017 #12

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What if you repeat the above calculation, but you integrate from 0 to some arbitrary value of x between 0 and b? Would you then be able to obtain an expression for the velocity as a function of x?

14. Jun 25, 2017 #13

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Things simplify if you recognize that you can write ##F = -100(x-20)##, so in terms of the new displacement variable ##y = x - 20## the force law is just ##F = - 100y##. This is Hooke's law (for stretching forces in a spring), so a Google search on "Hookes law" might be very helpful.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted