Finding Velocity: F=ma or KE = 0.5mv^2

In summary, the function F changes with respect to displacement, but Velocity with respect to displacement is not found.
Kiwigami
New user has been reminded to post schoolwork in the Homework Help forums and fill out the HH Templatge
Here is a made up function of force changing with respect to displacement: F(x) = 2000 - 100x
The force is applied onto an object, pushing it horizontally. Ignore friction and air resistance. The mass is constant. I'm trying to find Velocity with respect to displacement.

Attempt 1:
Knowing F = m*a:
2000 - 100x = m*a
a(x) = (2000-100x)/m
To find velocity, I take the integral of a(x) to get v(x) = [-100(0.5x2 - 20x)]/m

Attempt 2:
Now, I believe that Work = Force * Displacement. W = ∫ from 0 to b of (2000 - 100x)dx = [-50(b-40)b]

Since the object is only sliding horizontally, there's no potential energy, but there is kinetic energy. I set [-100(0.5x2 - 20x)] = 0.5mv^2 and solve for v:

v(x) = sqrt[(2/m) * [-50(x-40)x]]

In the end, I get two different answers. What I would like to know is what am I doing wrong? Did I use illegal math? Did I get the formulas wrong? Did I use the forumlas wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems for the first one you were integrating acceleration with respect to displacement (instead of time)—I don't see how that would tell you the velocity.

person123 said:
It seems for the first one you were integrating acceleration with respect to displacement (instead of time)—I don't see how that would tell you the velocity.
If I integrate acceleration with respect to displacement, would I get velocity with respect to displacement? Velocity with respect to displacement is what I'm trying to find.

Kiwigami said:
If I integrate acceleration with respect to displacement, would I get velocity with respect to displacement? Velocity with respect to displacement is what I'm trying to find.

I'm 90 percent sure that that's false. The connection between acceleration and velocity is that the former multiplied by time specifically equals change in velocity. Therefore, integrating acceleration with respect to time gives you change in velocity. This connection should only work when using time. Note that your first equation seems to fail dimensional analysis (there's the difference of displacement times force and displacement squared, which is meaningless).

I think modelling this situation with a spring might be a creative solution.

Last edited:
person123 said:
I'm 90 percent sure that that's false. The connection between acceleration and velocity is that the former multiplied by time specifically equals change in velocity. Therefore, integrating acceleration with respect to time gives you change in velocity. This connection should only work when using time. Note that your first equation seems to fail dimensional analysis (there's the difference of displacement and displacement squared, which is meaningless).

person123 said:
I'm 90 percent sure that that's false. The connection between acceleration and velocity is that the former multiplied by time specifically equals change in velocity. Therefore, integrating acceleration with respect to time gives you change in velocity. This connection should only work when using time. Note that your first equation seems to fail dimensional analysis (there's the difference of displacement and displacement squared, which is meaningless).

I see! The units won't work out. In that case, do you think my second attempt is correct?

I got the same thing both using your second method (which I believe is valid) and imagining it as a spring. (The two methods are actually essentially the same because ##PE=½kx^2## was derived by integrating force over distance). So I'm confident that it's correct, but I would wait until there's someone more experienced to check it if you want to be sure.

Kiwigami said:
If I integrate acceleration with respect to displacement, would I get velocity with respect to displacement?
No.
##a=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{dx}=\frac 12\frac{d}{dx}v^2##
Integrating wrt x:
##\int a.dx=\frac 12v^2##
Multiplying through by m gives the familiar ∫F.dx=½mv2.

1. What is the formula for finding velocity using F=ma?

The formula for finding velocity using F=ma is v = (F/m)a, where v is velocity, F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

2. How does the formula F=ma relate to Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. The formula F=ma represents this relationship, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

3. Can the formula F=ma be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the formula F=ma can be applied to all types of motion, whether it is linear, circular, or rotational. This is because the formula is based on Newton's Second Law of Motion, which applies to all types of motion.

4. How can the formula KE = 0.5mv^2 be used to find an object's velocity?

The formula KE = 0.5mv^2 can be rearranged to v = √(2KE/m), where v is velocity, KE is kinetic energy, and m is mass. This formula can be used to find an object's velocity if its kinetic energy and mass are known.

5. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in physics. Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate at which an object changes its position in a specific direction, while speed is a scalar quantity that describes how fast an object is moving with no regard to direction. In other words, velocity includes direction, while speed does not.