1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find value of a and b such that F(x) is a valid cumulative distribution function

1. Jan 26, 2013 #1
    Hi
    I have a question , the question asks find value of a and b such that F(x) is a valid cumulative distribution function?

1-a*exp(-x/b) x≥0
    F(x)=
    a*exp(x/b) x<0

My attempt to solve the problem:

I know F(x) when x goes to ∞ in 1 and when x goes to -∞ is 0. also I know F(x) should be right continuous and it is non-negative. However, non of them help me to find even one of the constants, any help will be appreciated ?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Probability

If you want it to be continuous at x=0 what are the limits of both forms of F as x->0? Though actually if you only have right continuous, I don't think you have that restriction. Hmm. Not sure. I can see some restrictions on the values of a and b, but not how to calculate them.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook