1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find vectors that span a subspace

1. Dec 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a pair of vectors that span the subspace x+y-2z=0 of R3.

2. Relevant equations
    x+y-2z=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just guessed some numbers since its such a simple equation and came up with (1,-1,0) and (2,0,1). I was just wondering what the standard method is to figure this out.. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2011 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Well, if a vector is in your subspace, the it must be of the form (2z-y, y, z). If you "extract" y and z as parameters, you have (2z-y, y, z) = y(-1, 1, 0) + z(2, 0, 1). Since (2z-y, y, z) is arbitrarily chosen, it follows that the set {(-1, 1, 0), (2, 0, 1)} spans your subspace, since we have a "rule" on how to obtain the coefficients of the linear combination of these two vectors. Even more, this set is linearly independent, and is actually a basis for your subspace, which is even stronger that what you needed to find.

4. Dec 14, 2011 #3
    AH! thank you so much! that was driving me crazy!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook