Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find W of 2 Solutions to a Differential EQ

1. Oct 27, 2007 #1
    How do I find the Wronskian of 2 solutions to

(1-x^2)y" -2xy' + α (α+ 1) without solving the Differential EQ?

I'm not given the 2 solutions to the equation so how do find the 2 solutions?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't find the two solutions! You find the Wronskian.

Suppose you have a general linear, homogeneous, second order differential equation:
    p(x)y"+ q(x)y+ r(x)y= 0 (you don't have an "=" in your equation. I presume you meant "= 0".) And that y1 and y2 are two solutions. There Wronskian is W= y1y2'- y1'y2. The derivative of that is W'= y1'y2'+ y1y2"- (y1"y2+ y1'y2') The two y1'y2' terms cancel: W'= y1y2"- y1"y2. But y1"= (-q(x)y1'-r(x)y1)/p(x) and y2"= (-q(x)y2'-r(x)y2)/p(x) so W'=y1y2"- y1"y2= y1(-q(x)y2'-r(x)y2)/p(x))- (-q(x)y1'-r(x)y1)/p(x))y2. Again, the terms with a derivative, y1(-r(x)y2/p(x)) and (r(x)y1/p(x))y2 cancel leaving
    W'= (-q(x)/p(x))(y1y2'-y1'y2)= (-q(x)/p(x))W. Solve THAT first order differential equation for the Wronskian.

Thanks, coomast, I have corrected (I think!) the errors.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  4. Oct 29, 2007 #3
    I think there are a few typo-errors in here.

The derivative of the Wronskian has a minus sign in it that should be a "+".
    The substitution after that is not y1 and y2, but y1" and y2".

Only making sure there is no confusion, I looked at it for 15 min. before I saw it...

Remark for stargazer2190, in case you don't know what equation this is, it is the differential equation of Legendre. It is a very important one if you study solutions of partial differential equations in sperical coordinate systems. More on this can be found on the www.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?