Find W of 2 Solutions to a Differential EQ

• Thread starter stargazer2190
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Differential
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Wronskian of two solutions to a general linear, homogeneous, second order differential equation without solving for the solutions. The Wronskian is defined as W = y1y2' - y1'y2 and its derivative is W' = y1'y2' + y1y2" - (y1"y2 - y1'y2'). After simplifying and substituting for y1 and y2, the first order differential equation for the Wronskian can be solved. This equation is known as the Legendre differential equation and is important in studying solutions of partial differential equations in spherical coordinate systems.
stargazer2190
How do I find the Wronskian of 2 solutions to

(1-x^2)y" -2xy' + α (α+ 1) without solving the Differential EQ?

I'm not given the 2 solutions to the equation so how do find the 2 solutions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't find the two solutions! You find the Wronskian.

Suppose you have a general linear, homogeneous, second order differential equation:
p(x)y"+ q(x)y+ r(x)y= 0 (you don't have an "=" in your equation. I presume you meant "= 0".) And that y1 and y2 are two solutions. There Wronskian is W= y1y2'- y1'y2. The derivative of that is W'= y1'y2'+ y1y2"- (y1"y2+ y1'y2') The two y1'y2' terms cancel: W'= y1y2"- y1"y2. But y1"= (-q(x)y1'-r(x)y1)/p(x) and y2"= (-q(x)y2'-r(x)y2)/p(x) so W'=y1y2"- y1"y2= y1(-q(x)y2'-r(x)y2)/p(x))- (-q(x)y1'-r(x)y1)/p(x))y2. Again, the terms with a derivative, y1(-r(x)y2/p(x)) and (r(x)y1/p(x))y2 cancel leaving
W'= (-q(x)/p(x))(y1y2'-y1'y2)= (-q(x)/p(x))W. Solve THAT first order differential equation for the Wronskian.

Thanks, coomast, I have corrected (I think!) the errors.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
You don't find the two solutions! You find the Wronskian.

Suppose you have a general linear, homogeneous, second order differential equation:
p(x)y"+ q(x)y+ r(x)y= 0 (you don't have an "=" in your equation. I presume you meant "= 0".) And that y1 and y2 are two solutions. There Wronskian is W= y1y2'- y1'y2. The derivative of that is W'= y1'y2'+ y1y2"- (y1"y2- y1'y2') The two y1'y2' terms cancel: W'= y1y2"- y1"y2. But y1= (-q(x)y1'-r(x)y1)/p(x) and y2= (-q(x)y2'-r(x)y2)/p(x) so W'=y1y2"- y1"y2= y1(-q(x)y2'-r(x)y2)/p(x))- (-q(x)y1'-r(x)y1)/p(x))y2. Again, the terms with a derivative, y1(-r(x)y2/p(x)) and (r(x)y1/p(x))y2 cancel leaving
W'= (-q(x)/p(x))(y1y2'-y1'y2)= (-q(x)/p(x))W. Solve THAT first order differential equation for the Wronskian.

I think there are a few typo-errors in here.

The derivative of the Wronskian has a minus sign in it that should be a "+".
The substitution after that is not y1 and y2, but y1" and y2".

Only making sure there is no confusion, I looked at it for 15 min. before I saw it...

Remark for stargazer2190, in case you don't know what equation this is, it is the differential equation of Legendre. It is a very important one if you study solutions of partial differential equations in sperical coordinate systems. More on this can be found on the www.

FAQ: Find W of 2 Solutions to a Differential EQ

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena in science and engineering.

Why do we need to find the solutions to a differential equation?

The solutions to a differential equation provide us with the values of the function that satisfy the equation. These solutions are important in understanding the behavior of the system being modeled and can be used to make predictions or solve problems.

How do we find the solutions to a differential equation?

The process of finding the solutions to a differential equation involves using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or using a specific method depending on the type of differential equation. It can also involve using software programs to numerically solve the equation.

What is meant by "W" in finding the solutions to a differential equation?

The "W" in this context refers to the general solution to the differential equation. It represents all possible solutions to the equation and can be expressed in terms of constants or parameters.

Why are there two solutions to a differential equation?

In some cases, a differential equation may have two distinct solutions that both satisfy the equation. This can happen when the equation is of a higher order or when it is a system of equations. The two solutions may represent different physical interpretations of the same phenomenon.