1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find y' if x[SUP]5y[/SUP]=y[SUP]2x[/SUP]

1. Mar 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find y' if x5y=y2x.

2. Relevant equations

d(ln y)=dy/y.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know this involves the natural log, and I suspect I am supposed to take the ln of both sides in order to pop the exponents down in front, and then use d(ln y)=dy/y. But I can't really complete the thought. It's been a while!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What do you get when you take the log (natural) of each side?
    IOW, what is ln(x5y)? What is ln(y2x)?

4. Mar 14, 2013 #3
    I'm pretty sure you get (5y)(ln x)=(2x)(ln y), right?

5. Mar 14, 2013 #4
    I know you can't isolate y, but I could atleast gather the y's on the left and the x's on the right, which gives me (5y)/(ln y)=(2x)/(ln x).

6. Mar 14, 2013 #5
    Maybe instead I want (ln y)/(5y)=(ln x)/(2x), because then I have 5f(y)dy=2f(x)dx where f is the ln function.

7. Mar 14, 2013 #6

Mark44

Right.
    You don't need to isolate y. Just differentiate both sides of the first equation above implicitly.

8. Mar 14, 2013 #7
    (5y)(dx/x) + (ln x)(5dy)=(2x)(dy/y) + (ln y)(2dx)
    (ln x)(5dy) - (2x)(dy/y)=(ln y)(2dx) - (5y)(dx/x)
    [5(ln x) - 2x/y]dy=[2(ln y) - 5y/x]dx
    dy/dx=[2(ln y) - 5y/x]/[5(ln x) - 2x/y]

9. Mar 14, 2013 #8
    but i still get dy/dx in terms of y. Aren't I suppose to find it just in terms of x?

10. Mar 14, 2013 #9

Mark44

This looks fine.

All it asks is that you find y'. It doesn't say anything about it needing to be as a function of x alone.

11. Mar 14, 2013 #10
    Hm. That can be done, though, right? Finding it in terms of x alone? Since I think that is what my professor wants, how would I do that?

12. Mar 14, 2013 #11

Mark44

If that was what your professor wanted, why didn't he/she ask for that explicitly? There is nothing in the problem statement about solving for y' as a function of x alone.

In any case, having the variables occur in both the base and the exponent makes it very difficult to separate them. The only thing I can think of that would be helpful is the Lambert W function.

13. Mar 14, 2013 #12
    You're probably right, since this is a Calculus class and not anywhere near the level of a differential equations class, that's probably where we would stop.

Although, I guess I could simplify to:

dy/dx=[y[2x(ln y) - 5y]]/[x[5y(ln x) - 2x]]

14. Mar 14, 2013 #13
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted