Find y' if x[SUP]5y[/SUP]=y[SUP]2x[/SUP]

• Thread starter catherinenanc
  • Start date
In summary, to find y', we can use the equation d(ln y)=dy/y and take the natural log of both sides of the equation x5y=y2x. This leads to the equation (5y)(ln x)=(2x)(ln y). By implicitly differentiating both sides, we can find y' in terms of both x and y: dy/dx=[2(ln y) - 5y/x]/[5(ln x) - 2x/y]. However, it is difficult to isolate y' in terms of x alone due to both variables occurring in the base and exponent. Simplifying the equation leads to dy/dx=[y(2x(ln y) - 5y)]/[x(
catherinenanc

Homework Statement

Find y' if x5y=y2x.

Homework Equations

d(ln y)=dy/y.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this involves the natural log, and I suspect I am supposed to take the ln of both sides in order to pop the exponents down in front, and then use d(ln y)=dy/y. But I can't really complete the thought. It's been a while!

Physics news on Phys.org
catherinenanc said:

Homework Statement

Find y' if x5y=y2x.

Homework Equations

d(ln y)=dy/y.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this involves the natural log, and I suspect I am supposed to take the ln of both sides in order to pop the exponents down in front, and then use d(ln y)=dy/y. But I can't really complete the thought. It's been a while!

What do you get when you take the log (natural) of each side?
IOW, what is ln(x5y)? What is ln(y2x)?

I'm pretty sure you get (5y)(ln x)=(2x)(ln y), right?

I know you can't isolate y, but I could atleast gather the y's on the left and the x's on the right, which gives me (5y)/(ln y)=(2x)/(ln x).

Maybe instead I want (ln y)/(5y)=(ln x)/(2x), because then I have 5f(y)dy=2f(x)dx where f is the ln function.

catherinenanc said:
I'm pretty sure you get (5y)(ln x)=(2x)(ln y), right?
Right.
catherinenanc said:
I know you can't isolate y, but I could atleast gather the y's on the left and the x's on the right, which gives me (5y)/(ln y)=(2x)/(ln x).
You don't need to isolate y. Just differentiate both sides of the first equation above implicitly.

(5y)(dx/x) + (ln x)(5dy)=(2x)(dy/y) + (ln y)(2dx)
(ln x)(5dy) - (2x)(dy/y)=(ln y)(2dx) - (5y)(dx/x)
[5(ln x) - 2x/y]dy=[2(ln y) - 5y/x]dx
dy/dx=[2(ln y) - 5y/x]/[5(ln x) - 2x/y]

but i still get dy/dx in terms of y. Aren't I suppose to find it just in terms of x?

catherinenanc said:
(5y)(dx/x) + (ln x)(5dy)=(2x)(dy/y) + (ln y)(2dx)
(ln x)(5dy) - (2x)(dy/y)=(ln y)(2dx) - (5y)(dx/x)
[5(ln x) - 2x/y]dy=[2(ln y) - 5y/x]dx
dy/dx=[2(ln y) - 5y/x]/[5(ln x) - 2x/y]
This looks fine.

catherinenanc said:
but i still get dy/dx in terms of y. Aren't I suppose to find it just in terms of x?
All it asks is that you find y'. It doesn't say anything about it needing to be as a function of x alone.

Hm. That can be done, though, right? Finding it in terms of x alone? Since I think that is what my professor wants, how would I do that?

If that was what your professor wanted, why didn't he/she ask for that explicitly? There is nothing in the problem statement about solving for y' as a function of x alone.

In any case, having the variables occur in both the base and the exponent makes it very difficult to separate them. The only thing I can think of that would be helpful is the Lambert W function.

You're probably right, since this is a Calculus class and not anywhere near the level of a differential equations class, that's probably where we would stop.

Although, I guess I could simplify to:

dy/dx=[y[2x(ln y) - 5y]]/[x[5y(ln x) - 2x]]

Thanks!

1. What is the equation "Find y' if x5y=y2x"?

The equation "Find y' if x5y=y2x" is a mathematical expression that represents the relationship between x and y. In this equation, the value of y' is being sought while x and y are raised to different powers.

2. How do I solve "Find y' if x5y=y2x"?

To solve "Find y' if x5y=y2x", you can use logarithms or algebraic manipulation. Taking the natural logarithm of both sides can help simplify the equation and solve for y'. Alternatively, you can rearrange the equation to isolate y' and then solve for its value.

3. Can you provide an example of solving "Find y' if x5y=y2x"?

For example, if we have the equation x5y=y2x, we can take the natural logarithm of both sides to get ln(x5y)=ln(y2x). Using the power rule for logarithms, we can simplify this to 5yln(x)=2xln(y). From here, we can rearrange the equation to isolate y', which gives us y'=(5ln(x))/(2ln(y)).

4. What is the significance of the equation "Find y' if x5y=y2x"?

The equation "Find y' if x5y=y2x" is significant because it represents a relationship between x and y that can be used to solve for the value of y'. This type of equation is commonly used in mathematical and scientific fields to model and understand various phenomena.

5. Are there any applications of "Find y' if x5y=y2x" in real life?

Yes, there are several applications of "Find y' if x5y=y2x" in real life. One example is in growth and decay models, where x and y can represent different quantities such as population or radioactive decay. This equation can also be used in economics and finance to model interest rates and investments. Additionally, it has applications in biology, physics, and other scientific fields.