Finding a Limit in two variables

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of whether or not the limit as (x,y) approaches (0,0) exists for the function f(x,y), where f(1/u,0)=1 and f(0,1/u)=-1 for all positive integer values of u. The discussion explores the behavior of the function and concludes that the limit does not exist due to the function having different values along different paths approaching (0,0).
hsetennis

Homework Statement

f(1/u,0)=1 and f(0,1/u)=-1 for all positive (integer) values of u. Prove whether or not the limit as (x,y) ->(0,0) exists.

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

I argue that 0,0 is not in the domain of the function, but this neglects the behavior of f(x,y). So I feel like I'm missing a clue. It seems similar to the binary function: f(x)=-1 when x>0 and f(x)=-1 when x<0. But I'm unsure how to solve and prove the limit.

Edit:[ok, I'm saying that if (1/u) were to equal 0, then n would end up being infinity (not a positive integer), but again, this doesn't account for the -1/1 values of f(x,y)]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hsetennis said:

Homework Statement

f(1/u,0)=1 and f(0,1/u)=-1 for all positive (integer) values of u. Prove whether or not the limit as (x,y) ->(0,0) exists.

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

I argue that 0,0 is not in the domain of the function, but this neglects the behavior of f(x,y). So I feel like I'm missing a clue. It seems similar to the binary function: f(x)=-1 when x>0 and f(x)=-1 when x<0. But I'm unsure how to solve and prove the limit.

Edit:[ok, I'm saying that if (1/u) were to equal 0, then n would end up being infinity (not a positive integer), but again, this doesn't account for the -1/1 values of f(x,y)]

By definition of limit, x and y would never be equal to zero.

Why is that? Can you not take: {Lim as u→∞[f(1/u,0)]}=f(0,0)

I was thinking that if I evaluate: [itex]Lim_{u\rightarrow\infty}[/itex]f(1/u,0)[itex]\neq[/itex][itex]Lim_{u\rightarrow\infty}[/itex]f(0,1/u)
Because 1≠-1

Any help is appreciated

hsetennis said:
Why is that? Can you not take: {Lim as u→∞[f(1/u,0)]}=f(0,0)

You could only claim that if f(0,0) was defined, which it isn't, and if it were and it was actually equal to that limit.

I was thinking that if I evaluate: [itex]Lim_{u\rightarrow\infty}[/itex]f(1/u,0)[itex]\neq[/itex][itex]Lim_{u\rightarrow\infty}[/itex]f(0,1/u)
Because 1≠-1

Any help is appreciated

You are getting close. Remember that for a two variable function, if$$
\lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow (a,b)} f(x,y)= L$$ that requires that you get ##L## as ##(x,y)\rightarrow (a,b)## along any path. What can you conclude from that?

I conclude that because a limit for a point must be equivalent from any real path, [itex]\lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow (a,b)} f(x,y)= 1[/itex] via path [itex]f(x,y)=(1/u,0)[/itex] but [itex]\lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow (a,b)} f(x,y)= -1\neq 1[/itex] via path [itex]f(x,y)=(0,1/u)[/itex].

Is such a conclusion sound ?

hsetennis said:
I conclude that because a limit for a point must be equivalent from any real path, [itex]\lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow (a,b)} f(x,y)= 1[/itex] via path [itex]f(x,y)=(1/u,0)[/itex] but [itex]\lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow (a,b)} f(x,y)= -1\neq 1[/itex] via path [itex]f(x,y)=(0,1/u)[/itex].

Is such a conclusion sound ?

Your original question was whether or not the limit exists. What do you conclude about that?

I conclude that because a limit for a point must be equivalent from any real path and [itex]\lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow (a,b)} f(x,y)= 1[/itex] via path [itex]f(x,y)=(1/u,0)[/itex] but [itex]\lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow (a,b)} f(x,y)= -1\neq 1[/itex] via path [itex]f(x,y)=(0,1/u)[/itex], the limit at (x,y)=(0,0) does not exist.

algebrat said:
By definition of limit, x and y would never be equal to zero.

I should have said x OR y are non zero.
That is, by definition of limit, (x,y)≠(0,0)

hsetennis said:
I conclude that because a limit for a point must be equivalent from any real path and [itex]\lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow (a,b)} f(x,y)= 1[/itex] via path [itex]f(x,y)=(1/u,0)[/itex] but [itex]\lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow (a,b)} f(x,y)= -1\neq 1[/itex] via path [itex]f(x,y)=(0,1/u)[/itex], the limit at (x,y)=(0,0) does not exist.

That's right.

Thanks for the help !

1. What is the concept of finding a limit in two variables?

Finding a limit in two variables involves determining the value that a function approaches as the two variables approach a specific point. This is important in understanding the behavior of a function near a certain point and can help in solving various mathematical problems.

2. How is a limit in two variables calculated?

To calculate a limit in two variables, we plug in the values of the two variables into the given function and evaluate the expression. We then take the limit as the two variables approach the specific point, which can be done by evaluating the expression for different values of the two variables that get closer and closer to the specific point.

3. What are the conditions for a limit in two variables to exist?

A limit in two variables exists if the value of the function approaches a single finite value as the two variables approach the specific point from all possible directions. This means that the limit must be the same regardless of the path taken to approach the specific point.

4. What are the different types of limits in two variables?

There are three types of limits in two variables: horizontal, vertical, and diagonal. A horizontal limit is when the two variables approach the specific point along a horizontal line, a vertical limit is when the two variables approach the specific point along a vertical line, and a diagonal limit is when the two variables approach the specific point along a diagonal line.

5. How is finding a limit in two variables useful in real-life applications?

Finding a limit in two variables is useful in real-life applications, such as in engineering and physics, where it is used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems. It is also used in economics and finance to analyze and predict market trends and fluctuations. Additionally, it is important in calculus and other advanced mathematical concepts.