1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a matrix P that orthogonally diagonalizes

1. Oct 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a matrix P that orthogonally diagonalizes I - vvT if

v = (1, 0, 1)

2. Relevant equations
    Well, solving I - vvT will give me my A if I am correct, and the characteristic equation for A is

det([tex]\lambda[/tex]I - A) = [tex]\lambda[/tex]3 - 2[tex]\lambda[/tex]2 = 0

Solving this gives me [tex]\lambda[/tex]1 = 0 and [tex]\lambda[/tex]2 = 2

Now when I substitute these values back into det([tex]\lambda[/tex]I - A) I only get 2 basis vectors for my P. (1, 0, 1) and (-1, 0, 1). Since I dont have 3 vectors I'm not going to yet normalize them, which has to be done before they become the column vectors of P.

Any help for finding this P would be great

EDIT : I guess technically I also have a 3rd basis vector (0, 0, 0) with [tex]\lambda[/tex]=0 am I able to use the zero vector?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

are you sure about you determinant eqaution? maybe show how you got there... and your matrix

hint: if i've done it right & i multiply your first eignevector by the matrix A, I get 1x the eigenvector...

4. Oct 16, 2009 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

also i notice if
    A = I - vvT

and u is an eignevector of A, with value m, then you should be able to show that u is also an eignevector of vvT with related eigenvalues, and it should be reasonably easy to guess the eigenvectors of vvT ro maybe even A

5. Oct 16, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

and one more...

to clarify in this case, 0 is an eignvalue of vvT but not A

When 0 is an eigenvector, it means the matrix is singular, with the eigenvectors corresponding to the 0 eigenvalue, belonging to the null space of the matrix

note that the zero vector, 0 is never included in the solutions to eigenvalue equation
    Au = mu
    as it it always a solution reagrdless of eigenvalue (considered the trvial solution).

So the zero eigenvalue will have corresponding non-zero eigenvector/s.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook