Finding a matrix with respect to standard basis

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the matrix representation of a linear transformation and using it to find the eigenvalues and formula for a given polynomial. The process involves applying the transformation to basis vectors and converting it into B-coordinates. The resulting matrix is then used to transform the coordinates of the polynomial.
Hiche

Homework Statement

jzzfnp.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone just point me how to approach this? Do we take a random second degree polynomial and input [itex]2x + 3[/itex] instead of [itex]x[/itex], then find the constants (eg. denoted by [itex]a , b , c[/itex]) by putting the new equation equal to the standard polynomial [itex]1 + x + x^2[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
A good start would be to apply ##T## to the basis vectors ##1, x, x^2##. What do you know about ##[T]_B##? In particular, what are its columns?

Oh, thank you. This is what I came up with so far:

[itex]T(1) = 1[/itex] so [itex](T(1))_B = \begin{pmatrix}1\\0\\0\end{pmatrix}[/itex]
[itex]T(x) = 2x + 3[/itex] so [itex](T(x))_B = \begin{pmatrix}3\\2\\0\end{pmatrix}[/itex]
[itex]T(x^2) = 4x^2 + 12x + 9[/itex] so [itex](T(x^2))_B = \begin{pmatrix}9\\12\\4\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

So, [itex]A = [T]_B = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 3 & 9\\0 & 2 & 12\\0 & 0 & 4\end{pmatrix}[/itex]. Is this close?

Better than close- that's exactly what I get.

Great! Now may I add a couple more questions to this?

Part b) asks to find the eigenvalues of [itex]A[/itex]. The values I found were [itex]\lambda_1 = 1, \lambda_2 = 2, \lambda_3 = 4[/itex].

Part c) asked to find the formula of [itex][T(p(x))]_B[/itex] without justification. I am not sure how to handle this question.

Hiche said:
Great! Now may I add a couple more questions to this?

Part b) asks to find the eigenvalues of [itex]A[/itex]. The values I found were [itex]\lambda_1 = 1, \lambda_2 = 2, \lambda_3 = 4[/itex].

Part c) asked to find the formula of [itex][T(p(x))]_B[/itex] without justification. I am not sure how to handle this question.

The eigenvalues look fine.

What are the B-coordinates of a polynomial ##p(x) = ax^2 + bx +c##? How does the matrix ##[T]_B## transform those coordinates?

1. How do you find a matrix with respect to standard basis?

To find a matrix with respect to standard basis, we first need to identify the standard basis vectors. These are the vectors with all components equal to 0 except for one component which is equal to 1. Then, we need to express the vector we want to find the matrix for as a linear combination of these standard basis vectors. The coefficients of this linear combination will form the columns of the matrix.

2. What is the purpose of finding a matrix with respect to standard basis?

The purpose of finding a matrix with respect to standard basis is to simplify calculations and operations on vectors and matrices. By expressing a vector in terms of standard basis vectors, we can easily perform operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication without having to deal with complex coordinates or variables.

3. Can a matrix with respect to standard basis be used for any type of vector?

Yes, a matrix with respect to standard basis can be used for any type of vector as long as the vector space is finite-dimensional. This means that the vector can be expressed as a linear combination of a finite number of basis vectors, which is the case for most vectors in real-world applications.

4. How does finding a matrix with respect to standard basis relate to linear transformations?

When we find a matrix with respect to standard basis, we are essentially finding a representation of a linear transformation in terms of standard basis vectors. This allows us to easily apply the transformation to any vector by simply multiplying it with the standard basis matrix. This is a useful tool in linear algebra and is often used in applications such as computer graphics and data analysis.

5. Is there a specific method for finding a matrix with respect to standard basis?

Yes, there are specific methods for finding a matrix with respect to standard basis. One common method is to use the coordinate vectors of the standard basis vectors as the columns of the matrix. Another method is to use the change of basis formula, where we multiply the inverse of the transformation matrix by the standard basis matrix. Both methods will give the same result.