1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a matrix with respect to standard basis

1. May 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

jzzfnp.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Can someone just point me how to approach this? Do we take a random second degree polynomial and input [itex]2x + 3[/itex] instead of [itex]x[/itex], then find the constants (eg. denoted by [itex]a , b , c[/itex]) by putting the new equation equal to the standard polynomial [itex]1 + x + x^2[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2012 #2
    A good start would be to apply ##T## to the basis vectors ##1, x, x^2##. What do you know about ##[T]_B##? In particular, what are its columns?

4. May 28, 2012 #3
    Oh, thank you. This is what I came up with so far:

[itex]T(1) = 1[/itex] so [itex](T(1))_B = \begin{pmatrix}1\\0\\0\end{pmatrix}[/itex]
    [itex]T(x) = 2x + 3[/itex] so [itex](T(x))_B = \begin{pmatrix}3\\2\\0\end{pmatrix}[/itex]
    [itex]T(x^2) = 4x^2 + 12x + 9[/itex] so [itex](T(x^2))_B = \begin{pmatrix}9\\12\\4\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

So, [itex]A = [T]_B = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 3 & 9\\0 & 2 & 12\\0 & 0 & 4\end{pmatrix}[/itex]. Is this close?

5. May 28, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Better than close- that's exactly what I get.

6. May 28, 2012 #5
    Great! Now may I add a couple more questions to this?

Part b) asks to find the eigenvalues of [itex]A[/itex]. The values I found were [itex]\lambda_1 = 1, \lambda_2 = 2, \lambda_3 = 4[/itex].

Part c) asked to find the formula of [itex][T(p(x))]_B[/itex] without justification. I am not sure how to handle this question.

7. May 28, 2012 #6
    The eigenvalues look fine.

What are the B-coordinates of a polynomial ##p(x) = ax^2 + bx +c##? How does the matrix ##[T]_B## transform those coordinates?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook