1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a of n from Sn partial sum

1. Sep 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

suppose that the partial sum of the series (sigma)n=1,infinity an is given by the partial sum Sn = (-2n+9)/(-6n+15). Find an expression for an when n>1

2. Relevant equations

Sn= (-2n+9)/(6n+15

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I attempted to subtract S(n-1) from S(n) to get each term for an and got the following terms
    a2=8/9
    3=-8/3
    4=8/9
    5=8/45
    6=8/105
    7=8/189
    8=8/297
    How am I supposed to come up with a generalized expression from these terms, or am I wrong from the first step of doing S(n)-S(n-1) to get those terms for an? The only pattern I can recognize is that after a4, the difference of the denominators increase by 24 from one term to the next.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

##S_{n}-S_{n-1}=a_n##. So take your expression for ##S_n## and subtract the same expression with n-1 substituted for n. Putting numbers in isn't the way to do it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted