Finding a Research Position in Pure Math: Tips and Strategies

In summary, Sarah missed the NSERC deadline to apply for research grants, but she is considering trying to find a research position without a grant. She is looking into contacting professors in her field of interest, and is also considering e-mailing professors directly. She recommends making a phone call to the department where she is applying, rather than sending an email.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Well, I missed the NSERC deadline to try and get a grant to do research during the summer. I thought the grants were only available for natural sciences, so I didn't bother. Little do I know, I can get it and my professor recommended that I try.

Anyways, I'm thinking of trying to get a research position without a grant. Professors usually hire students who have received grants because it is easier to pay them (since they already got money). So, it is still possible to get a research position as long as the professor can find the money.

It may be a long shot, but I think I should try anyways.

So, my question is how may I go about finding a position?

I'm thinking about e-mailing professors that are in fields of my interest, and just e-mailing them directly about the possibility of getting a position. Of course, I'd have to send them my transcripts and resume if such a position is available.

Is that fine?

Note: I'm looking into Pure Math.

Physics news on Phys.org
If possible go see them personally. It leaves a better impression and you get a by far better opportunity to market yourself and your skills.

I'll echo that sentiment. I've noticed that many professors aren't very good at promptly responding to e-mail, so by the time that you set up a meeting time, it might already be too late. Just go and talk to them during their office hours.

Manchot said:
I'll echo that sentiment. I've noticed that many professors aren't very good at promptly responding to e-mail, so by the time that you set up a meeting time, it might already be too late. Just go and talk to them during their office hours.

Well, the university I'm looking at is an hour away.

I wouldn't say it is practical to show up randomly during their office hours.

The math faculty at my university is too small to find research positions and they lack the funds. This other university has a much larger faculty, and definitely has some funds.

Yeah I missed the NSERC application deadline in my first year(11.0/12.0 GPA). I was mad because our sci.dept screwed up the posting and gave use like 2 days to apply

email the profs your interested in and ask if they are interested and willing to discuss possiblities...like the above you will have to go see them personelly to discuss stuff.

but for your email include your overall GPA, possible reserach topics/projects, courses you taken. Then bring your resume/transcript
and projects if you've done any. A reference might help to.

neurocomp2003 said:
Yeah I missed the NSERC application deadline in my first year(11.0/12.0 GPA). I was mad because our sci.dept screwed up the posting and gave use like 2 days to apply

email the profs your interested in and ask if they are interested and willing to discuss possiblities...like the above you will have to go see them personelly to discuss stuff.

but for your email include your overall GPA, possible reserach topics/projects, courses you taken. Then bring your resume/transcript
and projects if you've done any. A reference might help to.

I don't think including my GPA in my opening e-mail as beneficial. If the possibility is there he will say so, my GPA won't change that.

Yes, I agree that I will meet up with him/her afterwards. That's just common sense.

I went and spoke with the head of the Physics department at the university I attend today and he has agreed to give me a research position without a grant.

I too missed a deadline for my application and my uni doesn`t have the funds to pay me but i stressed how i wanted the experience of doing some research and didn`t mind if i wasn`t paid.

I would recommend making a phone call to the department where you are applying to, over sending an email, if the location of the uni is a problem. I find emails to impersonal and you can better responde to a negative reply from the department, during a phone call.

1. How do I find a research position?

There are several ways to find a research position. You can start by checking with your university or college to see if they have any available research projects or positions. You can also reach out to professors and researchers in your field of interest and inquire about potential opportunities. Additionally, you can search for openings on job websites or attend career fairs and conferences to network and learn about potential research positions.

2. What qualifications do I need to have for a research position?

The qualifications for research positions vary depending on the specific role and project. Generally, having a strong academic background in the relevant field of research, as well as skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis, are important. Previous research experience and publications can also make you a stronger candidate.

3. How can I stand out when applying for a research position?

To stand out when applying for a research position, you can highlight your relevant skills and experiences in your resume and cover letter. Showcasing your passion for research and your specific interests in the field can also make you stand out. Additionally, having strong letters of recommendation from mentors or professors can strengthen your application.

4. Is it necessary to have prior research experience to get a research position?

No, it is not always necessary to have prior research experience to get a research position. Many research positions offer training and on-the-job learning opportunities for individuals who are new to research. However, having some research experience can make you a more competitive candidate and may increase your chances of getting a research position.

5. What are the benefits of working in a research position?

Working in a research position can offer many benefits, including gaining hands-on experience in your field of interest, developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and contributing to the advancement of knowledge in your field. It can also provide opportunities for networking, mentorship, and potential publication of your research findings.