Finding a sample size that would give a certain probability of sucess

In summary, the professor stated that there is no closed form solution for finding the size of the sample needed to have a probability of .9 of at least one person in the sample not having the disease. However, by using the hyper geometric and reasoning, they were able to find that the sample size should be at least 1000 people.
ascapoccia

Homework Statement

a population of n people contain k individuals with a disease. a sample of m people without replacement are chosen. how big should m be so that the probability of having at least one person with the disease is approximately .9?

find m when n= 1000 and k= 10

hint. find the proabability of there being no one in the sample with the disease.

Homework Equations

professor states there is no closed form solution for this answer, but that we are supposed to find it via R. i, and my other ecn grad friends, can't figure out how to get an answer for either that, or excel or matlab, as we kept being told the answer doesn't exist.

The Attempt at a Solution

first, i tackled the hint and thought the probability of no one having the disease could be m choose 0 divided by n chose k, which gave me k!/n!. supposing this is right, or at least on the right path, i don't understand how knowing what the probability that no one get the disease gives me for finding the size of m needed.

i then thought about the idea that to be absolutely sure that you get a sample size large enough to get at least one person with the disease, it would need to be n-k+1. however, i don't know how to extend this idea to a probability of .9 (except multiplying it by .9, which even i know is totally wrong).

i don't really need help with the artihematic, but setting up the problem. thanks for any help you can give me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The number of ways of choosing m people without the disease is C(990,m), right? (Where the 'C's are binomial coefficients). The total number of ways of choosing m people is C(1000,m). What does that make the probability of choosing m people without the disease? You want that less than 0.1, correct? How large does m have to be?

Last edited:
that definitely helps, thank you.

hmm, okay, so i looked at the problem again and saw that i can't use the binomial dist, since i an NOT replacing my elements. so i tried to use the hyper geometric, such that:

{(k choose 1)(n-k choose m-1)} / (n choose m), and simplifying, got :

km(n-k)! / n!(n-k-m-1)! = .90

however, even by plugging in number for n and k, i can't get the function in terms soley of m.

Yes, you CAN use the binomial distribution to find the probability of choosing m people who aren't sick. Of course you aren't replacing anything. But you are only choosing once.

alright, so i finally did the problem by using the hyper geometric and finding how bug the sample size m should be by the very good old guess anad check standby. thanks y'all the help.

What is a sample size?

A sample size is the number of observations or data points included in a study or experiment. It is used to represent the larger population and draw conclusions about the population based on the sample.

Why is it important to determine the appropriate sample size?

Determining the appropriate sample size is crucial in ensuring the accuracy and reliability of research results. A sample size that is too small may not accurately represent the population, while a sample size that is too large may be time-consuming and expensive to collect and analyze.

How do you calculate the sample size needed for a certain probability of success?

There are several formulas and methods for calculating sample size, depending on the type of study and the desired level of confidence and margin of error. Some commonly used methods include the z-test, t-test, and chi-square test.

What factors influence the determination of sample size?

The factors that influence the determination of sample size include the desired level of confidence, margin of error, variability of the population, and expected effect size. Other factors may also include time, resources, and ethical considerations.

Can sample size be adjusted during a study?

In some cases, sample size can be adjusted during a study. This may be due to unforeseen circumstances or changes in the research design. However, it is generally recommended to determine the appropriate sample size prior to starting the study to ensure the validity of the results. Adjusting sample size during a study may introduce bias and affect the overall integrity of the research.