1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a splitting field over Z_13

1. Oct 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Describe the splitting field of x^9-1 over Z_13.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, seeing if any other of {1,......,12} would be some tricky arithmetic. Is my best bet here moving forward to just divide x^9-1 by x-1 since I know 1 is a root and then go from there?

So basically i'm looking for elements in Z*_13 with orders of 1,3 or 9. But there will be no element of order 9 because 9 does not divide 12 ( the order of Z*_13) so i'm looking for all elements of order 3. This makes checking to see if {1,.....,12} work much easier.

Also, there since 3 is prime there is a subgroup of order 3, so there are at least 2 elements such that x^3=1 (mod 13). I have found these elements, 3 and 9, therefore I have 3 out of the 9 roots. What do I do from here? Divide x^9-1 by (x-1)(x-3)(x-9) and then divide the quotient by (x-r)? Is there a simpler way?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Since ##\mathbb{Z}_{13}## is a field, do you expect any differences as if it was ##\mathbb{Q}##?
    ##1## is a root, as you've said, and you know what ##(x^9-1):(x-1)## is. What happens if you take a primitive 9-th root of unity, say ##\xi## and consider the powers ##\xi^i##?

4. Oct 30, 2016 #3
    Yeah, char(Q) = 0 so there will be no repeated roots, here there will be repeated roots. I'm not exactly sure how to reduce a primitive 9-th root of unity mod 13. I'm pretty sure the only roots of x^9-1 in Z_13 are 1,3 and 9 though?

5. Oct 30, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Then you should compute ##q(x)=(x-1)(x-3)(x-9)## and ##(x^9-1):q(x)## and see what is left.

6. Oct 31, 2016 #5
    q(x) mod 13 is equivalent to x^3-1. (x^9-1)/(x^3-1) = x^6+x^3+1. In hindsight, it really should have been obvious that q(x) would reduce to x^3-1. Anyway, now i'm looking for the roots of f(x)=x^6+x^3+1, and since i've already found all the roots that are in Z*_13, the roots of f(x) must be in a some splitting field. I will now divide f(x) by x-r.

f(x)/(x-r) = x^5+(r)x^4+(r^2)x^3+(r^3)x^2+(r^4)x+r^5. I feel this did not help me very much. Perhaps I should go back and try another strategy at finding the roots of x^6+x^3+1, my gut is telling me something to do with some kind of primitive root of unity. Any insights?

7. Oct 31, 2016 #6

fresh_42

You will need only one element ##\xi## to adjoint. To split ##x^6+x^3+1## you could temporarily substitute ##y=x^3## and solve the quadratic equation. Since ##2## is a unit, you'll have to find ##2^{-1}## and use the known formula. Also the tables of ##a^2\, , \,a^3## for ##a \in \mathbb{Z}_{13}## are helpful.

If you'll have the final splitting of ##x^9-1## it would be fine to see it so I can compare it with my solution.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted