Finding the splitting field of x^4-7x in C over Q

  • Thread starter Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Field Splitting
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
PsychonautQQ
Messages
781
Reaction score
10

Homework Statement


Hello PF. I need to find a splitting field of x^4-7x in C over Q

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


letting r be a root, I did the division and got x^4-7x = (x-r)(x^3+r*x^2+x*r^2+r^3). I'm a little confused on what to do now, do I just take another root and do the division again?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
You can find all the roots (in C) and see how many of them are in Q.
Is the best way to find all the roots in C to do what I've been doing? Assume an element is a root and then divide?
 
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement


Hello PF. I need to find a splitting field of x^4-7x in C over Q

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


letting r be a root, I did the division and got x^4-7x = (x-r)(x^3+r*x^2+x*r^2+r^3). I'm a little confused on what to do now, do I just take another root and do the division again?

The right hand side is [itex]x^4 - r^4[/itex] which for fixed [itex]r[/itex] is not identically equal to the left hand side for every [itex]x[/itex].

Starting with [itex]x^4 - 7x = (x - r)(x^3 + ax^2 + bx + c)[/itex] and comparing coefficients of powers of [itex]x[/itex] leads to [tex] a - r = 0, \\<br /> b - ar = 0, \\<br /> c - br = -7, \\<br /> cr = 0.[/tex] This is a system in four unknowns [itex]a[/itex], [itex]b[/itex], [itex]c[/itex] and [itex]r[/itex] which has the solution [itex]a = r[/itex], [itex]b = r^2[/itex], [itex]c = r^3 - 7[/itex] and [itex]r(r^3 - 7) = 0[/itex]. This of course gets you no closer to actually finding [itex]r[/itex].

Instead observe that [itex]x^4 - 7x = x(x^3 - 7)[/itex] and then use the identity [itex]x^3 - r^3 \equiv (x - r)(x^2 + rx + r^2)[/itex]. That leaves you to factorize a quadratic.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PsychonautQQ
pasmith said:
The right hand side is [itex]x^4 - r^4[/itex] which for fixed [itex]r[/itex] is not identically equal to the left hand side for every [itex]x[/itex].

Starting with [itex]x^4 - 7x = (x - r)(x^3 + ax^2 + bx + c)[/itex] and comparing coefficients of powers of [itex]x[/itex] leads to [tex] a - r = 0, \\<br /> b - ar = 0, \\<br /> c - br = -7, \\<br /> cr = 0.[/tex] This is a system in four unknowns [itex]a[/itex], [itex]b[/itex], [itex]c[/itex] and [itex]r[/itex] which has the solution [itex]a = r[/itex], [itex]b = r^2[/itex], [itex]c = r^3 - 7[/itex] and [itex]r(r^3 - 7) = 0[/itex]. This of course gets you no closer to actually finding [itex]r[/itex].

Instead observe that [itex]x^4 - 7x = x(x^3 - 7)[/itex] and then use the identity [itex]x^3 - r^3 \equiv (x - r)(x^2 + rx + r^2)[/itex]. That leaves you to factorize a quadratic.

Where r = (7)^1/3? Thank you by the way. I feel like this was a really obvious question in retrospect