1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a Taylor Series from a function and approximation of sums

1. Feb 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\mu = \frac{mM}{m+M}[/itex]

a. Show that [itex]\mu = m[/itex]
    b. Express [itex]\mu[/itex] as m times a series in [itex]\frac{m}{M}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\mu = \frac{mM}{m+M}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I am having trouble seeing how to turn this into a series. How can I look at the given function differently and see a series in it?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't see how that can be. Is there something you aren't telling us?
    Maybe try writing$$
    \frac{mM}{m+M}= m\left( \frac M {M+m}\right) = m\left( \frac 1 {1+\frac m M}\right)$$and use long division.

4. Feb 13, 2013 #3

I like Serena

Homework Helper

I'd go for writing it as a geometric series.
    $${1\over 1+x}=1-x+x^2-x^3+...$$

5. Feb 13, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If [itex]\mu= \frac{mM}{m+Mz}= m\frac{M}{m+ M}[/itex] then [itex]\mu= m[/itex] if and only if [itex]\frac{M}{m+ M}= 1[/itex] which leads to [itex]M= m+ M[/itex] and then [itex]m= 0[/itex].

6. Feb 13, 2013 #5
    Apologies everyone, it is actually [itex]\mu \approx m[/itex].

Also, I do see how I could turn LCKurtz suggestion into a geometric series: [itex]m * \frac{1}{1-(- \frac{m}{M})}[/itex] is the sum of the geometric series: [itex]\Sigma^{\infty}_{0} (-1)^nm(\frac{m}{M})^n[/itex]

7. Feb 14, 2013 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is there more that you haven't told us? Making this approximation depends on how large m and M are relative to each other. But the problem statement says nothing about their relative magnitude or what they are supposed to represent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook