Finding Acceleration: Motorist Travels 0.2km in 45-99km/h

  • Thread starter Thread starter adoado
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acceleration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
adoado
Messages
71
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A motorist enters a freeway at 45km/h and accelerates uniformly to 99 km/h. From the odometer of the car, the driver knows she has traveled 0.2km. Find the acceleration of the car.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I attempted this:

v2 = u2 + 2as

Substituting the values in I got this:
(992 -452)/0.4 = a

this gives 19440, so converting to m/sec I think I get 5400 m/sec2

This is definitely not right, any ideas why?

Cheers,
Adrian :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
adoado said:
this gives 19440, so converting to m/sec I think I get 5400 m/sec2
What units do you think the 19440 would be in? Check your conversion.

The best thing to do is change units to m/s and m before you use them in the formula.