Finding Adapters for Surface Mounts and GPS Modules on PCBs

• Thread starter haxor489
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surface
In summary, the speaker is looking for a solution to the issue of having a GPS module footprint accidentally placed on their main PCB. The EMI from the traces and MCU near the footprint make it difficult to meet the requirements for the GPS module's embedded antenna. They are considering soldering connectors onto the main PCB to mount the module on a separate board and connecting with extension wires. They are unfamiliar with surface mounts and terminology and would like to avoid redrawing and reordering the main PCB. The speaker is looking for suggestions and has found some potential solutions through searching for "pcb surfboard" and through adapters.
haxor489
I have a GPS module whose footprint was placed on my main PCB by accident and need to find a work around. The EMI from the traces and MCU near the footprint for the module make it less than ideal for the specific requirements of the GPS modules embedded antenna. I've never dealt with surface mounts but is there any way to solder connectors of some sort onto the main PCB so that the module can be mounted on a separate board and connected with extensions wires. I'm completely new to the terminology and my options in this situation, I'd like to avoid having to redraw and reorder the main PCB. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes just one. Also do you know if there is such a thing as a 2mm pitch female to 2.5mm pitch male converter ?

Disregard this question I've found adapters. Thank you

Last edited:

1. What is the best way to handle surface mount components?

The best way to handle surface mount components is to use ESD safe tools and equipment to avoid any damage to the components. It is also important to use a grounded work surface and wear an ESD wrist strap to prevent any static electricity from harming the components.

2. How do I prevent solder bridges when soldering surface mount components?

To prevent solder bridges, it is important to use the right amount of solder and flux, as well as the correct temperature for your soldering iron. You can also use solder wick to remove any excess solder and a magnifying glass to check for any bridges before moving on to the next component.

3. Should I use a reflow oven or hand solder surface mount components?

This depends on the complexity and size of the board. For larger and more complex boards, a reflow oven is recommended for more precise and consistent soldering. However, for smaller and simpler boards, hand soldering can be a suitable option.

4. How do I troubleshoot faulty surface mount components?

To troubleshoot faulty surface mount components, you can use a multimeter to check for proper continuity and resistance. You can also visually inspect the solder joints to see if there are any bridges, cold joints, or missing connections. If necessary, you can use a hot air rework station to remove and replace the faulty component.

5. Can I hand solder fine pitch surface mount components?

Yes, it is possible to hand solder fine pitch surface mount components with the right tools and techniques. It is recommended to use a magnifying glass or microscope for better visibility, as well as thin solder and a fine tip soldering iron. It may also be helpful to use a solder paste or flux to aid in the soldering process.