Finding amplitude from superposition

In summary: Remember it was 8 sin(100t)-6cos(100t)=A sin(100t + Φ )What is the right side when 100t=0? What is it when 100t=pi/2? So what equations hold for cosΦ and...You need to solve for Φ.
adi adi

Homework Statement

so there is this problem : find the amplitude from the superposition of Z1 and Z2 where
Z1 : 8 sin 100t, A1= 8m
and Z2 : 6 sin (100t-pi/2), A2=6m

Homework Equations

i know that all we need to do is add them and do the trig using sine additon, but i couldn't do that because the amplitude is different.

The Attempt at a Solution

yeah they give me the key answer but i don't understand because the solution only stated that all you need to do was do pythagorean theorem based on each amplitude.

Physics news on Phys.org
$$ \sin(100t-\pi/2) + \cos(100t) = ? $$

theodoros.mihos said:
$$ \sin(100t-\pi/2) + \cos(100t) = ? $$
pardon me i don't understand where does the cos come from?

Argumets are differs by ##\pi/2##, and functions are orthogonal, thus... Pythagoras.

What do you get if you apply the addition law to sin(100t-pi/2)?

Or even simpler: You know that sin(pi/2-x) = cos(x) And sin(-x)=sin(x)

Edit: I think I was sleeping... Of course, sin(-x)=-sin(x) .

Last edited:
ehild said:
What do you get if you apply the addition law to sin(100t-pi/2)?

Or even simpler: You know that sin(pi/2-x) = cos(x) And sin(-x)=sin(x)
sorry isn't sin -(x) = - sin x ?

adi adi said:
sorry isn't sin -(x) = - sin x ?

What do you mean with sin - (x)? Sine must have an argument. It is a function. You can not subtract something from "sin"

ehild said:
What do you mean with sin - (x)? Sine must have an argument. It is a function. You can not subtract something from "sin"
sorry i mean sin(-x) = -sin(x)

So sin(-x)=-sin(x). sin(x) is an even function. sin(pi/2)=1 and sin(-pi/2) = -1.
Edit: Still sleeping, and forgetting English.
Of course sine is odd.

Last edited:
theodoros.mihos said:
Argumets are differs by ##\pi/2##, and functions are orthogonal, thus... Pythagoras.
sorry can you submit your work here? i got stuck

ehild said:
So sin(-x)=-sin(x). sin(x) is an even function. sin(pi/2)=1 and sin(-pi/2) = -1.
yeah thank you, so how do you solve this case?
i change the second wave function (Z2) from 6sin(100t-pi/2) to -6cos(100t), so i have this problem :
8sin(100t) - 6cos(100t), and i got stuck right there.

Energy conservation: $$ A_{12}^2 = A_1^2 + A_2^2 $$ because there are orthogonal.

Last edited:
adi adi said:
yeah thank you, so how do you solve this case?
i change the second wave function (Z2) from 6sin(100t-pi/2) to -6cos(100t), so i have this problem :
8sin(100t) - 6cos(100t), and i got stuck right there.
You have to write 8 sin(100t)-6cos(100t)in the form A sin(100t + Φ ) where Φ is the phase constant. You can expand it, applying the addition rule for sine. What do you get?
The equation has to be valid at every time, when 100t = 0 and when 100t=pi/2. What equations you get for Φ?

ehild said:
You have to write 8 sin(100t)-6cos(100t)in the form A sin(100t + Φ ) where Φ is the phase constant.
This is the full solution that gives you two equation for ##A## and ##\phi##.

ehild said:
Ehild ! sin(x) is an odd function !
And Adi2 only asked in post 6 because of the typo in your post 5: the sin(-x)=sin(x) of course was meant to be ##\sin(-x)= -\sin x##

Adi: I always like to make a picture. Better than many words and useful to check the outcome.

Sines_addition.jpg

BvU said:
Ehild ! sin(x) is an odd function !
And Adi2 only asked in post 6 because of the typo in your post 5: the sin(-x)=sin(x) of course was meant to be ##\sin(-x)= -\sin x##

Thank you BvU to pointing out my errors. I must have been very confused this morning...

I wanted to make the OP recognize that A sin(Φ) = -6 and Asin(pi/2+Φ) = Acos(Φ) = 8, and he can get A2 by adding the squares.

Last edited:
ehild said:
You have to write 8 sin(100t)-6cos(100t)in the form A sin(100t + Φ ) where Φ is the phase constant. You can expand it, applying the addition rule for sine. What do you get?
The equation has to be valid at every time, when 100t = 0 and when 100t=pi/2. What equations you get for Φ?
so i get this : A (sin100tcosΦ + sinΦcos100t)
when 100t=0, i get this : A sin Φ
when 100t=pi/w, i get this : A cos Φ
so how do i find the Φ ? thank you for being patient because I am veeery slow at trigs.

adi adi said:
so i get this : A (sin100tcosΦ + sinΦcos100t)
so how do i find the Φ ? thank you for being patient because I am veeery slow at trigs.
Remember it was 8 sin(100t)-6cos(100t)=A sin(100t + Φ )
What is the right side when 100t=0? What is it when 100t=pi/2? So what equations hold for cosΦ and sinΦ?

Last edited:
Oh boy, here's me interfering again. So sorry!

Adi has already shown what the right-hand side is, so now he/she should evaluate the left-hand side :smile:.

But both Ehild and I mean the same thing: "I get ##A\sin\phi##" is incomplete: you were intended to get ## ... = A\sin\phi## with the emphasis on the = sign.
The ##A\sin\phi## is a value, but ## ... = A\sin\phi## is an equation !

adi adi said:

Yes, I meant equations when 100t = 0 and when 100t = pi/2. What equations you get for Φ? (I asked in Posts #13 and #18). You got the right sides, but they must be equal to the left sides.

1. What is superposition in the context of finding amplitude?

In physics, superposition refers to the combination of two or more waves to form a new wave. When finding amplitude from superposition, it involves adding the amplitudes of two or more waves to determine the resulting amplitude at a specific point in space.

2. How do you find the amplitude from superposition of two waves?

To find the amplitude from superposition of two waves, you need to first determine the individual amplitudes of each wave. Then, add these amplitudes together at the specific point in space to find the resulting amplitude. This can be represented mathematically by the superposition principle, which states that the displacement of a medium caused by the combination of two or more waves is equal to the sum of the individual displacements caused by each wave.

3. Can the amplitude from superposition be negative?

Yes, the amplitude from superposition can be negative. This occurs when two waves with opposite amplitudes combine, resulting in a decrease in amplitude at the specific point in space. The amplitude from superposition can be positive, negative, or zero, depending on the relative amplitudes and phases of the individual waves.

4. How does the frequency of the waves affect the resulting amplitude from superposition?

The frequency of the waves does not directly affect the resulting amplitude from superposition. The amplitude is determined solely by the individual amplitudes and phases of the waves. However, the frequency of the waves can affect the interference pattern that is created when the waves combine, which in turn can affect the amplitude at different points in space.

5. Is the amplitude from superposition always equal to the sum of the individual amplitudes?

No, the amplitude from superposition is not always equal to the sum of the individual amplitudes. This is because the individual waves may have different phases, resulting in constructive or destructive interference. In some cases, the resulting amplitude may be greater than the sum of the individual amplitudes, while in others it may be less. The amplitude from superposition can only be equal to the sum of the individual amplitudes if the waves have the same amplitude and are in phase with each other.