Finding an angle in the direction of displacement

In summary, to find the direction of the total displacement vector, measure the distances in terms of x and y coordinates, find the final position relative to the starting point, and use a right triangle to calculate the angle. The angle should be given in degrees North of East, without any description or units, and within 0.2 degrees of accuracy.
ilovedeathcab
finding an angle in the direction of displacement (resolved)

Frank hikes 5.8 km East, 9.1 km North, and 1.5 km West. Find the direction of his total displacement vector. Give your answer in terms of degrees North of East. Make sure you do the following in your answer:

* DO NOT write out a description of your angle. The text "North of East" is not necessary.
* DO NOT put your answer in terms of "East of North". This will be marked as incorrect.
* DO NOT indicate units. We will assume degrees.
* make your answer correct within 0.2 degrees
* put your answer in a form like one of these:
o #.#
o ##.#
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
i tried and measured this, converting km to cm, and measured with protractor, and got 67 degrees north of east. then i tried again, because my measurements were off, but it wouldn't accept 69 degrees. can't find what i am doing wrong (??)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

ilovedeathcab said:
Frank hikes 5.8 km East, 9.1 km North, and 1.5 km West. Find the direction of his total displacement vector. Give your answer in terms of degrees North of East. Make sure you do the following in your answer:

* DO NOT write out a description of your angle. The text "North of East" is not necessary.
* DO NOT put your answer in terms of "East of North". This will be marked as incorrect.
* DO NOT indicate units. We will assume degrees.
* make your answer correct within 0.2 degrees
* put your answer in a form like one of these:
o #.#
o ##.#
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
i tried and measured this, converting km to cm, and measured with protractor, and got 67 degrees north of east. then i tried again, because my measurements were off, but it wouldn't accept 69 degrees. can't find what i am doing wrong (??)

Try considering the distances in terms of x, y coordinates (I'd recommend East = x positive, North = y positive). Find the final position relative to the start point (0,0). You now have a right triangle, use that to find the angle mathematically.

I'm not sure I understand why there all the restrictions on description of the angle. Traditional compass directions consider North to be 0º, East to be 90º, for what it's worth.

I would suggest double-checking your measurements and calculations to ensure accuracy. It is possible that a small error in measurement or calculation could result in a slightly different angle. Additionally, I would recommend using a more precise measuring tool, such as a digital protractor, to ensure your angle is correct within 0.2 degrees.

1. What is an angle in the direction of displacement?

An angle in the direction of displacement is the angle between the initial and final position of an object, measured in the direction of the displacement vector.

2. Why is it important to find an angle in the direction of displacement?

Finding the angle in the direction of displacement can help us understand the path an object has taken and the direction it is moving in. It is also important in calculating the distance an object has traveled.

3. How do you calculate the angle in the direction of displacement?

The angle in the direction of displacement can be calculated using the tangent function, where the angle is equal to the inverse tangent of the vertical displacement divided by the horizontal displacement.

4. Can the angle in the direction of displacement be negative?

Yes, the angle in the direction of displacement can be negative if the object is moving in a direction opposite to the positive direction of the x-axis. It will be positive if the object is moving in the positive direction of the x-axis.

5. In what units is the angle in the direction of displacement measured?

The angle in the direction of displacement is typically measured in degrees or radians.