1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding an electric field at a point from a line of charge

1. Apr 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A thin insulating rod with charge density lambda=+5nC/m is arranged inside a thin conducting cylindrical shell of radius r =3 cm. The rod and the shell are on the same axis, and infinite in length.
    What is electric field at point p? 6cm from the central axis.

exam7.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    Gauss's law : E*dA = Qenc/epsilon

3. The attempt at a solution
    The question before this was actually to find the sigma.. which was 26.526nC/m^2. So I used sigma in the gauss's law. E*dA( area of cylindrical wall) = (sigma*A)/epsilon and got 2998. However, the answer was exactly the half of that(1499) ... Why?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2016 #2
    Just revise the content on field near a non conducting sheet and a conducting sheet. A factor of 2 comes there as there is no field on one side of a conducting sheet as field inside conductor has to be zero. Also i think the answer should be same that you would get in the absence of the infinite cylindrical shell.

4. Apr 21, 2016 #3
    i think you are making an error in calculation.....
    the line of charge has given charge per unit length. and the Gaussian cylindrical surface (hypothetical) to calculate the flux through it is to be constructed at 6 cm radius so take the area of this surface times the electrical intensity and apply Gauss theorem.

5. Apr 21, 2016 #4
    very close to a non-conducting sheet of charge E = σ/ε₀ and for a conducting sheet of charge E' = σ/(2ε₀)

6. Apr 21, 2016 #5
    Last post was not correct. It may be read as:

very close to a non-conducting sheet of charge E = σ/(2ε₀) and for a conducting sheet of charge E' = σ/ε₀

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted