1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding an expression for the series

1. Dec 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1+2x+(4!x^(2))/((2!)^(2))+(6!x^(3))/((3!)^(2))+(8!x^(4))/((4!)^(2))+.....

2. Relevant equations

Uhhhhh...

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, the denominator looks like it's going to be (n!)^2. And this expression appears to be using values of N≥0. But I'm not so sure as to what the numerator may look like.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2011 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Just gonna import my answer over to here...

4. Dec 7, 2011 #3
    Yea. Sorry about the screw-up of the thread I made. Can't type today, I guess. But thanks. Makes since.

5. Dec 7, 2011 #4
    Alright. I think I got it. The true expression should be (2n!x^(n))/((n!)^(2))

6. Dec 7, 2011 #5

Char. Limit

Gold Member

That'll do it! Now just ratio-test that and simplify, simplify, simplify. You should get your answer before too long.

7. Dec 7, 2011 #6
    Uh, yea. Still not getting a radius of convergence of (1/4). Could be an error in the book, or I'm doing something wrong. I think I'll ask my professor about this tomorrow.

8. Dec 7, 2011 #7

Char. Limit

Gold Member

What DO you get? If you show your work, I'm sure I can help you.

9. Dec 7, 2011 #8
    Okay. I when I do the ratio test, it comes out to be the following...

(2(n+1)!x^(n+1))/((n+1)!^(2)) * (n!^(2))/(2n!x^(n))

this appears to equal....

(xn!)/((n+1)!)

But the limit of this as n→∞ equals zero. Still don't see how I'll get an answer of (1/4).

10. Dec 7, 2011 #9

Char. Limit

Gold Member

I think the problem is that you're seeing 2n! and 2(n+1)! as 2(n!) and 2((n+1)!), when you should be using (2n)! and (2(n+1))!. At least, that's the mistake the computer program I'm using to check my work is having. Fix that and you should be fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook