Finding an expression for the standard deviation.

In summary, the problem discussed was finding a closed form for the expectation and standard deviation of a probability density function expressed in Maple notation. The expression for the mean was found using substitution and integration, but a closed form for the standard deviation could not be obtained. It was suggested to calculate it numerically, and it was noted that the standard deviation is proportional to the mean. The proportionality constant is suspected to involve Bessel functions of the second kind.
AdVen
The problem is to find a closed form for the expectation (mu) and standard deviation (sigma) of the probability density function underneath (Maple notation):

f(t) = a*exp(a*t)*BesselK(0, 2*sqrt(exp(a*t)))/BesselK(1, 2)

I was able to find an expression for mu::

mu = Int(t*a*exp(a*t)*BesselK(0, 2*sqrt(exp(a*t)))/BesselK(1, 2), t = 0 .. infinity)

Substitution with x = exp(a*t) leads to:

mu = Int((1/(x*a))*ln(x)*x*BesselK(0, 2*sqrt(x))/BesselK(1, 2),x=1..infinity)

Partial integration integration leads to:

-ln(x)*sqrt(x)*BesselK(1, 2*sqrt(x))/(a*BesselK(1, 2))-Int((-sqrt(x)*BesselK(1,
2*sqrt(x))/(a*BesselK(1, 2)))*(1/x),x)

Integration leads to:

-(ln(x)*sqrt(x)*BesselK(1, 2*sqrt(x))+BesselK(0, 2*sqrt(x)))/(a*BesselK(1, 2))

Finally the following closed form can be obtained:

mu = BesselK(0, 2)/(a*BesselK(1, 2))

I was not able to find a closed form for sigma. I suspect, however, that the solution must be proportional to: BesselK(0, 2)/(a*BesselK(1, 2)).

Who can help me?

Ad van der Ven.

PS. Mijnhomepage: http://www.socsci.ru.nl/~advdv/

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try to get the second moment?
mu2 = Int(t2*a*exp(a*t)*BesselK(0, 2*sqrt(exp(a*t)))/BesselK(1, 2), t = 0 .. infinity)

Yes, I did, but I was not able to find a solution.

There is something wrong with your PDF f(x), since
int(f(x), t = 0 .. infinity)
does not equal one for any value of the variable a (thus f(x) is not a PDF).

I am sorry to tell you, but according to Maple 12

Int(a*exp(a*t)*BesselK(0, 2*sqrt(exp(a*t)))/BesselK(1, 2),t=0..infinity) = 1.

Note, that f(t) is only defined for 0 < t.

f(t) = a*exp(a*t)*BesselK(0, 2*sqrt(exp(a*t)))/BesselK(1, 2) is defined for 0 < t and for 0 < a.

You are right, f(t) does indeed integrate to 1 for a>0 (on 0<t<inf). I was using an older version of Maple that does not think the integral of the PDF converges.

Your calculation of the mean is correct (I have verified now using Mathematica). I have not been able to find an analytical solution for the variance, but you can easily calculate it numerically, e.g. in Maple by

evalf(
Int(x*x*exp(x)*BesselK(0, 2*exp(x/2)),x=0..infinity)/BesselK(1, 2)/a^2
-(Int(x*exp(x)*BesselK(0, 2*exp(x/2)),x=0..infinity)/BesselK(1, 2)/a)^2
);

ans = 0.3715365403*1/(a^2)

Don't know if that is of any help... (in above, I have moved the variable "a" out of the integrals using variable substitution)

-Emanuel

Hi Emanuel,

Thanks a lot for looking into the problem. I already kwew, that you can calculate it numerically using Maple. I also know for certain, that the solution for the standard deviation is proportional to the mean. However, I do not know the expression for the proportionality constant. At the same time I am also rather sure, that the proportionality constant is some function of Bessel functions of the second kind (BesselK(v, x)). But I am aware that this will not be much of a help.

Thanks again.

1. What is the formula for finding the standard deviation?

The formula for finding the standard deviation is √[Σ(x - x̄)² / (n - 1)], where x represents each individual data point, x̄ represents the mean of the data set, and n represents the total number of data points.

2. How is the standard deviation different from the mean?

The mean represents the average value of a data set, while the standard deviation measures how spread out the data is from the mean. In other words, the standard deviation tells us how much the data deviates from the average.

3. Why is the standard deviation important in statistics?

The standard deviation is important because it helps us understand the variability and distribution of data. It is used to measure the reliability of the data and to make comparisons between different data sets.

4. Can the standard deviation be negative?

No, the standard deviation cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it is the square root of the sum of squared deviations from the mean.

5. How can I interpret the standard deviation?

The standard deviation can be interpreted as a measure of the average distance of data points from the mean. A smaller standard deviation indicates that the data is closer to the mean, while a larger standard deviation indicates that the data is more spread out. In a normal distribution, about 68% of the data falls within one standard deviation of the mean, 95% falls within two standard deviations, and 99.7% falls within three standard deviations.