1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding an Operator (from a textbook)

1. Oct 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Because I wanted to practice more of operators, I borrowed a textbook from a library for extra problems...I managed to solve (a) to (e), but not the last question...which is:

Write out the operator A2 for A: (f) d2/dx2 - 2xd/dx + 1 for which I keep getting a different solution from the back of the book...which is A2 = d
    4/dx4 - 4xd3/dx3 + (4x2-2)d2/dx2 + 1

2. Relevant equations
    (given above)

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I did was:

Af(x) = d2f(x)/dx2 - 2xdf(x)/dx + f(x)
    A2f(x) = d2/dx2{d2f(x)/dx2 - 2xdf(x)/dx + f(x)} - 2xd/dx{d2f(x)/dx2 - 2xdf(x)/dx + f(x)} + {d2f(x)/dx2 - 2xdf(x)/dx + f(x)}
    = d4f(x)/dx4 - d2/dx2{2xdf(x)/dx} + d2f(x)/dx2 - 2xd3f(x)/dx3 + 4x2d2f(x)/dx2 - 2xdf(x)/dx + d2f(x)/dx2 - 2xdf(x)/dx + f(x)

...for d2/dx2(2xdf(x)/dx)...since d2(2x)/dx2 = 0 and d2(df(x)/dx)/dx2 = d3f(x)/dx3

= d4f(x)/dx4 - 4xd3f(x)/dx3 + (4x2 + 2)d2f(x)/dx2 - 4xdf(x)/dx + f(x)....which is same with the solution ONLY in the first, second and last ones....I still have no idea where I made mistake!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that for ##\frac{d^2}{dx^2}(x g'(x))##, you will also have terms proportional to ##g''##. These arise when one of the differential operators act on ##x## and the other on ##g'(x)##. Thus, in general,
    $$
    \frac{d^2}{dx^2}\left[x g'(x)\right] \neq x g'''(x).
    $$

4. Oct 9, 2014 #3
    Hello, so....
    d2/dx2(xg'(x)) = g'(x)d2(x)/dx2 + x d2g'(x)/dx2
    =g'(x) d2x/dx2 + x d3x/dx3 ? Is this the right one?

...but doesn't d2(x)/dx2 still result in 0 value?

5. Oct 9, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, I suggest you use one of the differential operators at a time and see what you get instead of guessing.

6. Oct 9, 2014 #5
    So, by "differential operator" do you mean trying to solve each part of A2 separately?

Just for quick clarification, isn't d/dx {f(x)g(x)} = g(x)df(x)/dx + f(x)dg(x)/dx...doesn't this arrangement apply to d2/dx2 too? Or, do I have to differentiate twice for each f(x) and g(x), in the similar case too, as in d2/dx2 {f(x)g(x)}? I am sorry if I am asking too much but I am trying to re-organize my brain.

7. Oct 9, 2014 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I mean that you use the fact that d^2/dx^2 = (d/dx)(d/dx) and apply them one at a time. You will find that the relation you quote is not true for second derivatives.

8. Oct 9, 2014 #7
    Okay, thanks! I will try solving d/dx(d/dx) one at a time!

9. Oct 9, 2014 #8
    I got the solution---thank you!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  10. Oct 9, 2014 #9

RUber

Homework Helper

## A = \frac {d^2}{dx^2} - 2x \frac{d}{dx} + 1 ## so A^2 is A acting on itself. I don't think you need to include f(x) yet. However, leaving it out means you need to think of (1) as the identity.
    ##A^2=(\frac {d^2}{dx^2} - 2x \frac{d}{dx} + 1)(\frac {d^2}{dx^2} - 2x \frac{d}{dx} + 1)##
    ##A^2=\frac {d^2}{dx^2}\frac {d^2}{dx^2} - \frac {d^2}{dx^2}2x \frac{d}{dx} + \frac {d^2}{dx^2}(1)\\
    - 2x \frac{d}{dx}\frac {d^2}{dx^2} +2x \frac{d}{dx}2x \frac{d}{dx} - 2x \frac{d}{dx}(1)\\
    +\frac {d^2}{dx^2} - 2x \frac{d}{dx} + 1##
    ##A^2=\frac {d^4}{dx^4} - \frac {d^2}{dx^2}2x \frac{d}{dx}+ \frac {d^2}{dx^2} - 2x \frac {d^3}{dx^3} +2x \frac{d}{dx}2x \frac{d}{dx} - 2x \frac{d}{dx}+\frac {d^2}{dx^2} - 2x \frac{d}{dx} + 1##
    It seems like the most likely location for an error would be in the ##\frac {d^2}{dx^2}2x \frac{d}{dx}## and ## 2x \frac{d}{dx}2x \frac{d}{dx}## terms.
    It looks like your expansion above is right for ##\frac{d}{dx}2x\frac{d}{dx}=2\frac{d}{dx}+2x\frac{d^2}{dx^2}## and the derivative of that you have above looks right as well.
    The ##-4x\frac{d}{dx}## term looks like you forgot to expand out the ##+2x\frac{d}{dx}2x\frac{d}{dx} ## term fully to produce a ##+4x\frac{d}{dx}## to cancel out the ##-4x\frac{d}{dx}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted