Finding Anti-Derivative of sin(3u(t)) w/ Unknown u(t)

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Jwill
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Jwill
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
What method of integration would I use to find the anti-derivative of

[tex]\int sin(3u(t)) dt[/tex]

when

[tex]u(t)[/tex]

Is and unknown function of time?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends, because there are many elementary functions that U could be that would make this a nonelementary integral.
 
I mean if

[tex]u(t)[/tex]

is completely unknown, is there no way to just generally integrate it even using terms like

[tex]u'(t)[/tex]?


[tex]\frac{-1}{3u'(t)}cos(3u(t))[/tex]
seems to be sort of close if you differentiate it... But this is an incorrect usage of U substitution.
 
If u(t) is unknown, you can not integrate numerically, and in general
if u(t) is anything more complex than a linear function in t, the integral
will involve error functions.

For example, if u(t) = t, your antiderivative in post # 3 would be correct.
Similarly if u(t) = kt +b with k and b constants
 
What do you mean by error functions? Could you give me an example of such a situation? I am not exact familiar with that.
 
Jwill said:
What do you mean by error functions? Could you give me an example of such a situation? I am not exact familiar with that.

Go to www.wolframAlpha.com

Type in " integral e^ (3x^2) dx " [omit quotes] and hit return.
See the erf error function in the answer ?

Then clear and

Type in erf x and hit return
Put the cursor over the lower right "erf is the error function"
and click on definitionNote that if you change 3x^2 to 3x, the error function is not needed.
 
Okay, thanks. I know what you mean now... I actually feel kinda stupid lol. I've actually found exact error from numerical solutions of different orders.