Finding area bounded by x axis, x=0, and x=5

In summary, the question is asking about finding the area bounded by the x-axis and the graph of an equation that is below the x-axis at x=0, crosses the x-axis at x=2, and is above at x=5. To find the area, you will need to split the interval into two parts and find the area for each part separately. Since area is a positive quantity, you will need to make both the negative and positive areas positive before adding them together. However, if you are only evaluating the integral, there is no need to split the regions.
tjohn101

Homework Statement

I have a problem where the graph of the equation is below the x-axis at x=0, crosses the x-axis at x=2, and is above at x=5. To find the area of this would I just split the interval into two parts, find both areas, and then add them? Or would I simply ignore the part of the graph that is below the x axis? "Bounded by the x axis" confuses me and that is why I am unsure.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
tjohn101 said:

Homework Statement

I have a problem where the graph of the equation is below the x-axis at x=0, crosses the x-axis at x=2, and is above at x=5. To find the area of this would I just split the interval into two parts, find both areas, and then add them? Or would I simply ignore the part of the graph that is below the x axis? "Bounded by the x axis" confuses me and that is why I am unsure.

Since area is a positive quantity, you will want to find the negative part and positive part separately, make them both positive, and then add them. Imagine if you had a larger negative area than positive, then you would have a negative area!

On the other hand, if you are required only to evaluate the integral (not find the area of the integral), you would not have to split the regions up.

Hi tjohn101! :wink:

You haven't actually given us the whole sentence …

presumably it includes words something like "and the graph" …

but what words exactly, and how are they joined to the rest of the conditions?

(if it says "Find the area bounded by the graph, the x axis, x=0, and x=5", then as malicx :smile: says, both areas are positive, and you add them)

1. What is the formula for finding the area bounded by the x axis, x=0, and x=5?

The formula for finding the area bounded by the x axis, x=0, and x=5 is to use the definite integral from x=0 to x=5 of the function f(x).

2. How do I know which function to use when finding the area bounded by the x axis, x=0, and x=5?

The function to be used is typically given in the problem or can be derived from the given information. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem to determine the correct function to use.

3. Can the area bounded by the x axis, x=0, and x=5 be negative?

No, the area bounded by the x axis, x=0, and x=5 cannot be negative. It represents a two-dimensional space and the area is always a positive value.

4. What are the units for the area bounded by the x axis, x=0, and x=5?

The units for the area bounded by the x axis, x=0, and x=5 will depend on the units of the function being used. For example, if the function is in meters, then the area will be in square meters.

5. How can I use technology to find the area bounded by the x axis, x=0, and x=5?

There are many graphing calculators and online tools that can help you find the area bounded by the x axis, x=0, and x=5. These tools can graph the function and calculate the definite integral for you, making the process faster and more accurate.