Finding Center of Mass and Moment of Inertia for a Hemispherical Shell

• Thread starter jlmac2001
  • Start date
In summary, the problem at hand is finding the position of the center of mass and moment of inertia for rotations about an axis through the origin and along the axis of symmetry of a thin hemispherical shell with radius R and mass M. The formulae and examples have been provided, but the student is struggling to solve the problem and is seeking help. The responder advises the student to make an attempt at solving the problem before seeking help and offers encouragement to not give up easily.
jlmac2001
Find the position of the cnter of mass and moment of inertia for rotations about an axis through the origin and along axis of symmtry of a thin hemisphericl shell of radius R and mass M whose center is at the orgin.

For this problem, would I treat is kinda like a sphere? How would I do something like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you keep posting every question you're set in this course you're going you're going to get some nastier responses than this.

There have been several responses showing you how to find moments of inertia; perhaps it's time you solved this one on your own? You have the formulae, you've seen the examples, show us what you've done so far.

sorry

If I knew how to do it, i would not have posted. Thanks anyway.

lots of people post without actually attempting to solve the problem first. Maths problems aren't supposed to be easy, and once you're onto sufficiently hard material then it should take you quite a while to solve the problems. don't give up instantly, which is what most people do when they don't see the solution immediately. that isn't how maths really works.

there seems to have been a spate of people posting messages that read 'for god's sake don't be so lazy/stupid', but slightly more confrontationally, recently, so I thought I'd warn you you might get some answers you didn't want.

so, how do you think you do the question? where would you start, where do you get stuck?

matt

Related to Finding Center of Mass and Moment of Inertia for a Hemispherical Shell

What is the purpose of asking for help with a question?

The purpose of asking for help with a question is to seek clarification or guidance on a topic or problem that is not easily understood or solved on one's own. It allows individuals to gain a better understanding and potentially find a solution to their question.

How can I effectively ask for help with a question?

To effectively ask for help with a question, it is important to be clear and specific about the problem or topic you need assistance with. Provide any relevant background information and be open to suggestions and feedback from others.

What should I do if I don't understand the answer to my question?

If you don't understand the answer to your question, don't be afraid to ask for further clarification. You can also try breaking down the answer into smaller parts or asking for examples to help you better understand the concept.

What resources can I use to find the answer to my question?

There are various resources you can use to find the answer to your question, such as textbooks, online articles, forums, and asking experts in the field. It is important to use credible sources and verify the information before accepting it as the correct answer.

How can I avoid asking the same question multiple times?

To avoid asking the same question multiple times, make sure to fully understand the answer and take notes if necessary. You can also try searching for similar questions and answers before asking to see if your question has already been addressed. Additionally, be open to learning and understanding the concept rather than just finding a quick answer.