Moment of inertia of a spherical shell

In summary: A is equal to the surface area of the circle sector because the length of the infinitesimal cylinder used in the derivation is equal to ##R d \theta##, which is the height of the cylinder. The mass is also equal to the surface area because the mass of an infinitesimal cylinder is ##dm = \rho dA = \frac{M}{4 \pi R^2}\, 2\pi R\sin\theta\, R \, d\theta = \frac M 2 \sin\theta\,d\theta##.
Nikitin
Hey. There's one thing I've always been wondering about when it comes to deriving the expression for the moment of inertia of a spherical shell.

Namely, why is the length of the infinitesimal cylinder used in the derivations (like here ) equal to ##R d \theta##, instead of ##R d \theta \cdot \sin(\theta)##? Afterall, ##R d\theta## isn't the actual height of the cylinder. The vertical component (the component in the direction of the axis of rotation) of ##R d\theta## is the length, which equals to ##R d \theta \cdot \sin(\theta)##.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's not the best of derivations.

They are accounting for the distance between the band and the axis of revolution. The problem with the derivation is that the authors are switching back and forth between cartesian (dx) and spherical (dθ). Choose one and stick with it!

Using dx, that little band is a spherical segment. Regardless of location on a sphere, the area of a spherical segment of height h on a sphere of radius R is ##A = 2\pi R h##, or ##dA = 2\pi R dx## in the case of an infinitesimal segment. The mass of that infinitesimal segment is ##dm = \rho dA = \frac{M}{4 \pi R^2}\,2\pi R\,dx = \frac M {2R} dx## . The distance to the axis is given by ##r^2=R^2-x^2##, and thus the moment of inertial is ##\int_{-R}^R (R^2-x^2) \frac M {2R} dx = \frac 2 3 MR^2## .

Using dθ, that little band is the surface of an open spherical sector. The area of that infinitesimal sector is ##dA = 2\pi R\sin\theta\, R\,d\theta##, so the mass is thus ##dm = \rho dA = \frac{M}{4 \pi R^2}\, 2\pi R\sin\theta\, R \, d\theta = \frac M 2 \sin\theta\,d\theta##. The distance to the axis is ##r = R\sin\theta## and thus the moment of inertial is ##\int_0^{\pi} (R^2\sin^2\theta)\,\frac M 2 \sin\theta\,d\theta = \frac 2 3 MR^2## .

Likes Raphael M and Nikitin
oh I'm such an idiot. of course! thanks, I see it now :) It's because the infinitesimal cylinder rolled up must have a length ##R d \theta## for it to cover the surface area of the circle sector.

Really Thnx for your explication, but I can't understand why dA is equal to 2πRsinθRdθ and why are you using cilindrical coordenates instead of spherical.

I've tried to solv for dA = sinϕdϕdθ and what I've got was ρ4 π r²

1. What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a spherical shell?

The formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a spherical shell is I = 2/3 * MR², where M represents the mass of the shell and R represents the radius of the shell.

2. How does the moment of inertia of a spherical shell differ from that of a solid sphere?

The moment of inertia of a spherical shell is larger than that of a solid sphere with the same mass and radius. This is because the mass of a solid sphere is evenly distributed throughout its volume, while the mass of a spherical shell is concentrated at the outer surface, resulting in a larger moment of inertia.

3. Can the moment of inertia of a spherical shell be negative?

No, the moment of inertia of a spherical shell cannot be negative. It is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion, and a negative value would imply that the object is rotating in the opposite direction than expected.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a spherical shell change with respect to the shell's thickness?

The moment of inertia of a spherical shell is directly proportional to the thickness of the shell. As the thickness increases, so does the moment of inertia, and vice versa. This is because a thicker shell has more mass concentrated at a greater distance from the axis of rotation, resulting in a larger moment of inertia.

5. What is the significance of the moment of inertia of a spherical shell?

The moment of inertia of a spherical shell is an important property in rotational dynamics, as it determines how easily an object can be rotated about a given axis. It is also used in calculations involving angular momentum and rotational kinetic energy.