1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Charge From Changing Magnetic Flux

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the figure, a flexible square loop 0.700 m on a side is made of wire of resistance 0.600 Ω. A magnetic field with magnitude 1.70 T is directed onto the plane of the loop. A student crushes the wires together forming a loop of zero area in 0.350 s. Find the total amount of charge flowing through the wire.

2. Relevant equations

Maxwell's equations such as
    ∫E[itex]\cdot[/itex]dA = Qenclosed/epsilon nought

3. The attempt at a solution
    Now I am having trouble starting this question. I am thinking that because the loop is being crushed, the area is going to be changing, which means magnetic flux is changing because [itex]\Phi[/itex]B=BA. And I know that magnetic flux somehow influences electric flux (forget the name of the law for this), so I'll have to use the equation listed above. Any hints please?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2
    Here's what I tried. I calculated PhiB = 0.833. This next part is where I'm not sure I can actually do this. I just divided .833 by the time .35 and got dPhi/dt = 2.38, so the EMF induced is -2.38 V. Then I went V=Ed and got E= .85 Vm-1. Then used Gauss' Law Qenclosed = epsilon nought * E * A = 3.69 pC. This seems like an extremely small amount so I haven't entered my answer yet. Also I'm not sure if I can do half the things I did here lol.

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3
    I calculated the flux through the loop.
    Induced emf = change in flux per second
    Current = emf/R
    Current = coulombs per second..... should give you the charge in coulombs (I got 1.38)

5. Dec 4, 2011 #4
    Okay so that's right. So I was right about being able to divide B by time. But I thought current was the rate of change of charge? So why can we just use it as charge per unit time?

6. Dec 4, 2011 #5
    You are correct.... amps = coulombs per second.
    I calculated the current from V/R .... V = induced emf, R =0.600ohms
    I got the voltage to be 2.38.... the same as you.
    I am not certain what your V = Ed means !!

7. Dec 4, 2011 #6
    I was mistaken and thought I would have to use Gauss' Law because the assignment name is 'Maxwell's Equations"... so I tried solving for the electric field induced but it definitely didn't work.

8. Dec 4, 2011 #7
    Are you convinced by what I did !!!!?

9. Dec 4, 2011 #8
    Yes I am. I did and and the answer was correct. I was just making sense of something we did.

10. Dec 4, 2011 #9
    great.... well done

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook