Finding Charge From Changing Magnetic Flux

In summary, the problem involves a flexible square loop with a resistance of 0.600 Ω and a magnetic field of 1.70 T. The loop is crushed in 0.350 s, resulting in a change in magnetic flux and inducing an emf of -2.38 V. The current is calculated to be 3.97 mA, resulting in a total charge of 1.38 μC flowing through the wire. The use of Maxwell's equations and Gauss' Law were considered but ultimately not necessary for solving the problem.
SeannyBoi71

Homework Statement

In the figure, a flexible square loop 0.700 m on a side is made of wire of resistance 0.600 Ω. A magnetic field with magnitude 1.70 T is directed onto the plane of the loop. A student crushes the wires together forming a loop of zero area in 0.350 s. Find the total amount of charge flowing through the wire.

Homework Equations

Maxwell's equations such as
∫E[itex]\cdot[/itex]dA = Qenclosed/epsilon nought

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I am having trouble starting this question. I am thinking that because the loop is being crushed, the area is going to be changing, which means magnetic flux is changing because [itex]\Phi[/itex]B=BA. And I know that magnetic flux somehow influences electric flux (forget the name of the law for this), so I'll have to use the equation listed above. Any hints please?

Attachments

• 29.27.jpg
    29.27.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 542
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's what I tried. I calculated PhiB = 0.833. This next part is where I'm not sure I can actually do this. I just divided .833 by the time .35 and got dPhi/dt = 2.38, so the EMF induced is -2.38 V. Then I went V=Ed and got E= .85 Vm-1. Then used Gauss' Law Qenclosed = epsilon nought * E * A = 3.69 pC. This seems like an extremely small amount so I haven't entered my answer yet. Also I'm not sure if I can do half the things I did here lol.

I calculated the flux through the loop.
Induced emf = change in flux per second
Current = emf/R
Current = coulombs per second... should give you the charge in coulombs (I got 1.38)

Okay so that's right. So I was right about being able to divide B by time. But I thought current was the rate of change of charge? So why can we just use it as charge per unit time?

You are correct... amps = coulombs per second.
I calculated the current from V/R ... V = induced emf, R =0.600ohms
I got the voltage to be 2.38... the same as you.
I am not certain what your V = Ed means !

technician said:
You are correct... amps = coulombs per second.
I calculated the current from V/R ... V = induced emf, R =0.600ohms
I got the voltage to be 2.38... the same as you.
I am not certain what your V = Ed means !

I was mistaken and thought I would have to use Gauss' Law because the assignment name is 'Maxwell's Equations"... so I tried solving for the electric field induced but it definitely didn't work.

Are you convinced by what I did !?

Yes I am. I did and and the answer was correct. I was just making sense of something we did.

great... well done

What is "Finding Charge From Changing Magnetic Flux"?

"Finding Charge From Changing Magnetic Flux" is a method used in physics to determine the amount of charge passing through a surface by measuring the change in magnetic flux over a specific time period.

How does "Finding Charge From Changing Magnetic Flux" work?

This method is based on Faraday's Law of Induction, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field. By measuring the induced electric field, the amount of charge passing through the surface can be calculated.

What materials are needed to perform "Finding Charge From Changing Magnetic Flux"?

To perform "Finding Charge From Changing Magnetic Flux", you will need a conducting wire, a magnet, a surface to measure the magnetic flux, and a voltmeter to measure the induced electric field.

What are the applications of "Finding Charge From Changing Magnetic Flux"?

"Finding Charge From Changing Magnetic Flux" is commonly used in various fields such as electromagnetism, electrical engineering, and physics. It has applications in power generation, electric motors, and transformers.

What are the limitations of "Finding Charge From Changing Magnetic Flux"?

One limitation of this method is that it can only be used for steady magnetic fields. It also requires precise measurements and calculations, which can be challenging to perform accurately.