1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding charge, voltage and resistance

1. Oct 12, 2008 #1
    A heart defibrillato passes a 12A current through a patient's torso for 3E-3 seconds to restore it to normal beating.
    a. How much charge passed through the patient's body?
    b. What voltage was used if a total energy of 300J was dissipated? by the current
    c. What was the resistance of the path through the person?

For a I know that the current is I and I have the time and I need to figure out Q but I do not have any equations that have all three of those variables in it so I am stuck on what equation to even start with.

For b I am struggling with the same problem. I know that Voltage is equal to the current x resistance but I do not know where the energy comes into place

I know the resistance is the resistivity/A is A the area? How would I figure that out then?

Any help would be appreciated!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi Kathi201,

What is the definition of current?

What quantity can you find from knowing the energy and the time? How is that related to voltage?

Once you find the voltage in part b, what is the relationship between voltage and resistance?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?