Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Circle Circumference from Inscribed N-Sided Polygen

1. Feb 9, 2015 #1
    The perimeter P of a regular polygon of n sides inscribed in a circle of radius r is given by [itex]P = 2nr sin (180^o / n)[/itex].

I was curious whether it's possible to approximate the circumference of a circle by taking the limit as n goes to infinity of the above perimeter equation is some way?

Thank-you

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2015 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

I would think it should be possible. As it stands, applying that limit would give you infinite*0.
    Is there anyway you could express the same function in terms of other trig functions that would give you inf/inf or 0/0? Then you could potentially apply l'hopital's rule and get something useful.

4. Feb 9, 2015 #3
    [itex]P = 2nr \sin (180^o / n) = \frac {2nr} {\csc (180^o / n)} = \frac {2nr} {\csc (180^o / n)}[/itex]
    [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} {\frac {2nr} {\csc (180^o / n)}} = \frac {\infty} {\infty}[/itex]

L'Hôpital's rule:
    [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} {\frac {f'(n)} {g'(n)}} = \displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} {\frac {2r} {-\csc (180^o / n) \cot (180^o / n)}}[/itex]

Sorry, this is about as far as I got right now. Also, I'm not sure where the [itex]\pi[/itex] is going to come in for the [itex]C = 2\pi r[/itex], though I assume it will have to come from the trig functions somehow.

5. Feb 9, 2015 #4

mathman

Science Advisor

[itex]\lim_{n->\infty}\frac {sin(\frac{\pi}{n})}{\frac{\pi}{n}}=1[/itex].
    Therefore [itex]\lim_{n->\infty}2nrsin(\frac{\pi}{n})=2\pi r[/itex].

6. Feb 9, 2015 #5
    Where's the denominator of pi / n come from in the second expression?

7. Feb 10, 2015 #6

Svein

Science Advisor

8. Feb 10, 2015 #7
    It works in this case. But you need to be careful with polygonal approximation of lengths, it might not always give the right answers:
    troll_mathemathics_pi.jpg

9. Feb 10, 2015 #8

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Hehe. :D

10. Feb 10, 2015 #9

mathman

Science Advisor

P=2nrsin(π/n)=2πr(sin(π/n)/(π/n))

11. Feb 10, 2015 #10
    I don't understand, sorry.

But it seems like my thoughts about this relationship were in the right direction.

12. Feb 11, 2015 #11

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Its just algebra that he did to get it into a new form. Multiply by pi/pi, and kick the n into the denominator of the denominator. Now you have sin (x)/x.

13. Feb 19, 2015 #12

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And, of course, ##\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{\sin x}{x}=1## only if ##x## is measured in radians.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook