Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Circle Circumference from Inscribed N-Sided Polygen

1. Feb 9, 2015 #1
    The perimeter P of a regular polygon of n sides inscribed in a circle of radius r is given by [itex]P = 2nr sin (180^o / n)[/itex].

I was curious whether it's possible to approximate the circumference of a circle by taking the limit as n goes to infinity of the above perimeter equation is some way?

Thank-you

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2015 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

I would think it should be possible. As it stands, applying that limit would give you infinite*0.
    Is there anyway you could express the same function in terms of other trig functions that would give you inf/inf or 0/0? Then you could potentially apply l'hopital's rule and get something useful.

4. Feb 9, 2015 #3
    [itex]P = 2nr \sin (180^o / n) = \frac {2nr} {\csc (180^o / n)} = \frac {2nr} {\csc (180^o / n)}[/itex]
    [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} {\frac {2nr} {\csc (180^o / n)}} = \frac {\infty} {\infty}[/itex]

L'Hôpital's rule:
    [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} {\frac {f'(n)} {g'(n)}} = \displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} {\frac {2r} {-\csc (180^o / n) \cot (180^o / n)}}[/itex]

Sorry, this is about as far as I got right now. Also, I'm not sure where the [itex]\pi[/itex] is going to come in for the [itex]C = 2\pi r[/itex], though I assume it will have to come from the trig functions somehow.

5. Feb 9, 2015 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[itex]\lim_{n->\infty}\frac {sin(\frac{\pi}{n})}{\frac{\pi}{n}}=1[/itex].
    Therefore [itex]\lim_{n->\infty}2nrsin(\frac{\pi}{n})=2\pi r[/itex].

6. Feb 9, 2015 #5
    Where's the denominator of pi / n come from in the second expression?

7. Feb 10, 2015 #6

Svein

Science Advisor

8. Feb 10, 2015 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It works in this case. But you need to be careful with polygonal approximation of lengths, it might not always give the right answers:
    troll_mathemathics_pi.jpg

9. Feb 10, 2015 #8

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Hehe. :D

10. Feb 10, 2015 #9

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

P=2nrsin(π/n)=2πr(sin(π/n)/(π/n))

11. Feb 10, 2015 #10
    I don't understand, sorry.

But it seems like my thoughts about this relationship were in the right direction.

12. Feb 11, 2015 #11

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Its just algebra that he did to get it into a new form. Multiply by pi/pi, and kick the n into the denominator of the denominator. Now you have sin (x)/x.

13. Feb 19, 2015 #12

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And, of course, ##\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{\sin x}{x}=1## only if ##x## is measured in radians.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook