Geometry of circles and polygons.

In summary, the conversation discussed an equation that deals with regular polygons touching circles tangentially. The equation, P=Dn\tan(\frac{180}{n}), involves the perimeter of the polygon, the diameter of the circle, and the number of sides on the polygon. The original purpose of the equation was to approximate pi, but it may not have a practical use if the tangent function can already be computed easily. However, the conversation sparked mathematical curiosity and there may be other potential uses for the equation.
JDude13
I have found an equation which deals with regular polygons touching circles tangentially with each of their sides.

[tex]P=Dn\tan(\frac{180}{n})[/tex]
where
[tex]P[/tex] is the perimeter of the polygon.
[tex]D[/tex] is the diameter of the circle.
[tex]n[/tex] is the number of sides on the polygon.

i originaly thought it would be useful for approximating pi but now I am not sure it has a use.

Tell me what you think.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Depends partly on how you planned to compute the tangent function.

Umm... I am in yr 11
degrees, i guess. Should i have specified that? I couldn't figure out how to put the degrees sign in LaTeX.

I guess what was trying to say is that actually computing tan x is the trick. If you can already do it with, say, a calculator, then you don't really need to "approximate" pi! :)

olivermsun said:
I guess what was trying to say is that actually computing tan x is the trick. If you can already do it with, say, a calculator, then you don't really need to "approximate" pi! :)

do you mean that because I am using a calculator that i may as well just go
[tex]\pi=[/tex]
?
I guess youre right.
But since its not used for approximating pi, at least it fueled my mathematic curiosity for 15 mins :P
Maybe it has a use somewhere else... :/

1. What is a circle?

A circle is a closed shape that is formed by a collection of points that are equidistant from a fixed point called the center.

2. What is the formula for finding the area of a circle?

The formula for finding the area of a circle is A = πr², where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle. π, also known as pi, is a constant value of approximately 3.14.

3. How is the circumference of a circle calculated?

The circumference of a circle is calculated using the formula C = 2πr, where C is the circumference and r is the radius of the circle.

4. What is the difference between a regular polygon and an irregular polygon?

A regular polygon is a polygon with all sides and angles being equal, while an irregular polygon has sides and angles of different lengths and measures.

5. How do you find the area of a polygon?

The formula for finding the area of a polygon depends on the type of polygon. For a regular polygon, the formula is A = (1/2)ap, where A is the area, a is the apothem (distance from the center to the midpoint of a side), and p is the perimeter. For an irregular polygon, you can divide the polygon into smaller, regular shapes and use the appropriate formula for each shape, then add the areas together.