Finding the Sum of Perpendiculars in a 24-Sided Polygon Inscribed in a Circle

  • Thread starter Thread starter armolinasf
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
armolinasf
Messages
195
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



There is a regular 24 sided polygon inscribed in a circle. A diameter is drawn and perpendiculars are dropped from all the vertices on that side of the diameter. Find the sum of the lengths of the perpendiculars.

The Attempt at a Solution



I came across this problem and I have no clue how to approach it. I'm looking for a point in the right direction. Thanks for the help!
 
Attachments
  • get-attachment.jpg
    get-attachment.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 437
Physics news on Phys.org
hi armolinasf!

well, what formula are you starting with? :smile:
 
No formula was given. It was at the end of a section on trig identities, specifically using them to sum trig series.
 
You have to find the formula. You have studied trigonometry haven't you?

ehild
 
My first instinct was to write something like S=r+2(l1+l2+l3+l4+l5), where l is the length of each chord. Should I be looking for a way to express each l in terms of r?
 
hi armolinasf! :smile:

yes, and the various angles (nπ/12)
 
Yeah i finally realized that the height of each perpendicular is equal to the sine of the angles...So here my sum:

S=r+2r[sin(pi/12)+sin(pi/6)+sin(pi/4)+sin(pi/3)+sin(5pi/12)]
 
Last edited: