Finding current, power and energy for a 2.5mH inductor with sinusoidal voltage

  • Topic: Engineering 
  • Thread starter Thread starter TSizzle55
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circuit Inductors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
TSizzle55
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The voltage across an L = 2.5mH inductor is v(t) = 10 cos(1000t)mV, with i(0) = 1 mA.
(a) Find i(t) for t ≥ 0.
(b) Find the power and energy.

Homework Equations


V= L * di/dt
Power= V * i
V * i= L * i * (di/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution


I really don't know where to start. I'm just looking for an explanation of what the problem is asking (What does 'Find the power and energy' mean?). That would be really helpful, thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The power is the rate at which energy changes or the rate at which it is supplied or stored.

In DC, power is pretty straightforward. P = VI, and V and I are constant.

In AC, V and I are varying with time and out of phase depending on the reactance in the circuit/component.

Presumably one's textbook describes voltage, current and power with respect to an inductor and AC.

Given V(t) = L * di/dt, how would one find i(t) if one knows v(t)?