1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current through inductor in a circuit with a sinusoidal voltage source

1. Nov 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://www.wifstrand.se/albert/stuff/p7.7-1.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

vL = L * (diL / dt).

All of the inductors can be reduced to a single 8 H inductor, so

iL = (6 / 8) * ∫ cos 100t dt = 0.0075 sin 100t

if you integrate from 0 to t.

3. The attempt at a solution

The formula states that iL = iL(t0) + ∫ vL dt if you integrate from some initial condition current t0 to t. I get the correct answer if I integrate from 0 to t, but I fail to see what iL(t0) is and how we can use 0 for the lower bound.

It seems as if we can just assume that t0 = 0 and that iL(t0) = 0, if so, why is that?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have di/dt = V/L so
    i = ∫(V/L)dt + constant (indefinite integral + a constant)

To evaluate the constant, asume V = 0 for t < 0. Then, at t = 0, a sudden voltage V = 6V is applied to L. What is the current then at t = 0? What is the constant? Do you see now why your last statement is correct?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Nov 10, 2012 #3
    Yes, I see now that at t = 0 (or rather t = 0+ denoting the exact moment the voltage 6 * cos 0 is applied) the current is 0 since the current through an inductor can't change instantaneously, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook