Current through inductor in a circuit with a sinusoidal voltage source

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for calculating the current in an inductor, given a voltage and an initial condition. It is determined that the constant in the formula can be assumed to be 0, as the current through an inductor can't change instantaneously. This allows for the integration to be done from 0 to t rather than from some initial condition t0 to t.
AbbeAbyss

Homework Statement

http://www.wifstrand.se/Albert/stuff/p7.7-1.png

Homework Equations

vL = L * (diL / dt).

All of the inductors can be reduced to a single 8 H inductor, so

iL = (6 / 8) * ∫ cos 100t dt = 0.0075 sin 100t

if you integrate from 0 to t.

The Attempt at a Solution

The formula states that iL = iL(t0) + ∫ vL dt if you integrate from some initial condition current t0 to t. I get the correct answer if I integrate from 0 to t, but I fail to see what iL(t0) is and how we can use 0 for the lower bound.

It seems as if we can just assume that t0 = 0 and that iL(t0) = 0, if so, why is that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
AbbeAbyss said:

Homework Statement

http://www.wifstrand.se/Albert/stuff/p7.7-1.png

Homework Equations

vL = L * (diL / dt).

All of the inductors can be reduced to a single 8 H inductor, so

iL = (6 / 8) * ∫ cos 100t dt = 0.0075 sin 100t

if you integrate from 0 to t.

The Attempt at a Solution

The formula states that iL = iL(t0) + ∫ vL dt if you integrate from some initial condition current t0 to t. I get the correct answer if I integrate from 0 to t, but I fail to see what iL(t0) is and how we can use 0 for the lower bound.

It seems as if we can just assume that t0 = 0 and that iL(t0) = 0, if so, why is that?

You have di/dt = V/L so
i = ∫(V/L)dt + constant (indefinite integral + a constant)

To evaluate the constant, asume V = 0 for t < 0. Then, at t = 0, a sudden voltage V = 6V is applied to L. What is the current then at t = 0? What is the constant? Do you see now why your last statement is correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
rude man said:
You have di/dt = V/L so
i = ∫(V/L)dt + constant (indefinite integral + a constant)

To evaluate the constant, asume V = 0 for t < 0. Then, at t = 0, a sudden voltage V = 6V is applied to L. What is the current then at t = 0? What is the constant? Do you see now why your last statement is correct?

Yes, I see now that at t = 0 (or rather t = 0+ denoting the exact moment the voltage 6 * cos 0 is applied) the current is 0 since the current through an inductor can't change instantaneously, thanks.

1. What is an inductor?

An inductor is an electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is typically made of a coiled wire and is used in circuits to control the flow of electrical current.

2. How does a sinusoidal voltage source affect the current through an inductor?

A sinusoidal voltage source, such as an AC power supply, causes the current through an inductor to vary in a sinusoidal pattern. When the voltage is at its peak, the current will be at its maximum, and when the voltage is at its lowest point, the current will be at its minimum.

3. What is the relationship between the current and the voltage in an inductor?

The current through an inductor is directly proportional to the rate of change of the voltage across it. This means that as the voltage increases or decreases, the current will also increase or decrease, respectively.

4. How does the inductance of an inductor affect the current in a circuit with a sinusoidal voltage source?

The inductance of an inductor determines how much the current will change for a given change in voltage. A higher inductance will result in a slower rate of change in current, while a lower inductance will result in a faster rate of change in current.

5. Can the current through an inductor ever be zero in a circuit with a sinusoidal voltage source?

No, the current through an inductor will never be zero in a circuit with a sinusoidal voltage source. This is because the inductor will always store some energy in its magnetic field, even if the current is momentarily zero. Therefore, the current will continue to oscillate between different values, but it will never reach zero.