Find out the charge is delivered to the element and power and energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the charge, power, and energy consumed by an element with given current and voltage values over a specific time frame. The charge is calculated to be 1.9 Coulombs, and the power is determined to be -8 e^(-t). The concept of negative power is also discussed, as well as the need for a constant power value in order to use the equation "Energy = power * time."
sonutulsiani

Homework Statement

Current flowing through an element is i(t)= 2e^(-t) and voltage across that conductor is v(t)= 2 (di/dt). Find out the charge is delivered to the element and power and energy consumed by the element in between 0 to 3 seconds.

Homework Equations

i(t) = dq/dt
power = v * i
Energy = power * time

The Attempt at a Solution

I got charge,q = 1.9 C

For power, I got voltage as -4 e^(-t), multiplying it with current, and I got Power as -8 e^(-t) but i must be getting the answer in some number right?

And what about energy? I don't have power till now, so couldn't calculate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
sonutulsiani said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I got charge,q = 1.9
I agree.
For power, I got voltage as -4 e^(-t), multiplying it with current, and I got Power as -8 e^(-t) but i must be getting the answer in some number right?
No, your expression is correct. Question for you: if the power consumed is negative, what does that imply?

And what about energy? I don't have power till now, so couldn't calculate it.
Power consumed is dE/dt, where E is the energy being consumed.
The equation you had, "Energy = power * time", is only true if the power is a constant value (it isn't constant in this problem).

1. How is the charge delivered to the element?

The charge is delivered to the element through the flow of electrons. This can occur through various means such as conduction, induction, or direct contact with a charged object.

2. What factors influence the amount of power delivered to the element?

The amount of power delivered to an element depends on the voltage applied and the resistance of the element. The higher the voltage or the lower the resistance, the more power will be delivered.

3. How is energy related to the charge delivered to the element?

Energy is directly proportional to the amount of charge delivered to the element. This means that the more charge that is delivered, the more energy will be transferred to the element.

4. Can the charge delivered to an element be measured?

Yes, the charge delivered to an element can be measured using an instrument called an ammeter. This device measures the flow of electrons and can give an accurate reading of the charge delivered.

5. How does the type of element affect the charge, power, and energy delivered?

The type of element can have a significant impact on the charge, power, and energy delivered. Different elements have different resistances and can handle different amounts of voltage. Additionally, the material and shape of the element can also affect the flow of electrons and the amount of energy transferred to the element.