Finding currents, voltages, and equivalent resistances

In summary, current is the flow of electric charge and voltage is the electrical potential difference between two points. Current can be calculated using Ohm's Law and equivalent resistance is the total resistance of a circuit when multiple resistors are connected in series or parallel. The equivalent resistance of series circuits can be found by adding individual resistances, while the equivalent resistance of parallel circuits can be found using a specific formula. Understanding and calculating these values is important in analyzing and designing electrical circuits, as well as troubleshooting and maintaining electrical systems.
rugerts
Homework Statement
For switch open,
A) i2?
B) v4?
C) i5?
For switch closed,
D) Req?
E) isource?
Relevant Equations
Series and Parallel addition laws. V = I*R.
1569385901368.png
1569385915007.png

Physics news on Phys.org
rugerts said:
Homework Statement: For switch open,
A) i2?
B) v4?
C) i5?
For switch closed,
D) Req?
E) isource?
Homework Equations: Series and Parallel addition laws. V = I*R.

View attachment 250167View attachment 250168
It looks correct. Have you any question?

1. What is the difference between current and voltage?

Current is the flow of electric charge, typically measured in amperes (A). Voltage is the potential difference between two points, typically measured in volts (V).

2. How do you calculate current?

Current can be calculated by dividing the voltage by the resistance, using Ohm's Law: I = V/R. It can also be calculated by dividing the charge by the time, using the equation I = Q/t.

3. What is equivalent resistance?

Equivalent resistance is the total resistance in a circuit, when multiple resistors are connected in series or parallel. It can be calculated using Ohm's Law or by combining the resistances using specific formulas for series and parallel circuits.

4. How do you measure voltage?

Voltage can be measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the circuit. The voltmeter measures the potential difference between two points in a circuit.

5. Can you have negative current or voltage?

Yes, current and voltage can be either positive or negative. A negative value indicates the direction of the flow of current or the potential difference between two points in the opposite direction.