1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding dimensions of a beam using shear, moment, and moment of Inertia

1. Apr 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

hwnotebook26.jpg

2. Relevant equations

Moment of Inertia equation: I=(1/12)bh^3
    Stress and Strain equations: Sigma= -(M*c)/I Tao = (V*Q)/(I*t)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I need to use shear and moment diagrams to find the max moment so I can use the Stress diagram to find the Moment of Inertia to find the dimensions of the cross section, but I can't figure out how to get started. Any help would be great. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2010 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wouldn't you want to start by setting sigma in your equation equal to the given allowable bending stress? Give it a try.

4. Apr 2, 2010 #3
    Can you draw a loading diagram for the cantilever you think has the most stress? Do you know a definition of bending moment that will enable you to draw the bending moment diagram?

5. Apr 4, 2010 #4
    I am using the weight density to find the weight distribution over the entire area and then treating that as a simply supported beam. Will this work?

6. Apr 5, 2010 #5
    If it is a simply supported beam, rather than a cantilever (as it says in the question !) where are the two supports?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook