Finding displacement with acc and vel

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving pulleys and finding the maximum height the lighter object can achieve. The initial positions and velocities of both objects are known, and the lighter object is carried upwards by momentum after the heavier object hits the ground. The velocity of both objects has been calculated using kinetic energy and work done by gravity, and it is presumed that the lighter object is lifted up by 0.6m in total. However, the additional height traveled by the lighter object due to momentum is causing confusion, as there is no information given about time. The recommended approach is to use the principle of conservation of energy.
jebii
I'm working on a problem involving pulleys and would appreciate help. I know the initial starting positions of both objects (0.3 m above ground) and their initial velocity which is zero. The question wants me to find the maximum height the lighter object can achieve - i.e. its height even after the heavier object hits the ground, since it will be carried upwards by momentum. I have worked out the velocity of both objects, which are same magnitude and opposite directions, through equating kinetic energy and work done by gravity (since I know both their masses). I can also presume that, when the heavier object hits the ground, the lighter would have been lifted up by 0.3m, making it a total of 0.6m. I am just having problems with the additional height the lighter object travels through momentum, since I need to take into account the downward acceleration by gravity. (I am not given any information regarding time). Any advice on how to approach this would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: conservation of energy.

1. What is displacement?

Displacement is the distance between the initial and final positions of an object. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude (distance) and direction of an object's movement.

2. How is displacement related to acceleration and velocity?

Displacement is directly related to an object's acceleration and velocity. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, and velocity is the rate of change of displacement. The relationship can be represented mathematically as displacement = initial velocity * time + 0.5 * acceleration * time2.

3. How can I find displacement with acceleration and velocity?

To find displacement with acceleration and velocity, you can use the formula displacement = initial velocity * time + 0.5 * acceleration * time2. First, determine the initial velocity and acceleration of the object. Then, plug these values into the formula along with the time that has elapsed since the object started moving.

4. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative. This occurs when an object moves in the opposite direction of its initial position. Negative displacement indicates that the object has moved in the negative direction of the coordinate system being used.

5. Is displacement the same as distance?

No, displacement and distance are not the same. Distance is a scalar quantity that only takes into account the magnitude of an object's movement, while displacement is a vector quantity that considers both magnitude and direction. This means that displacement can be greater than distance if the object changes direction during its movement.