1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding E(x^k) for gamma, beta, and lognormal distributions

1. Nov 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the expected value of g(X) = Xk for the
    a. gamma distribution
    b. beta distribution
    c. lognormal distribution

2. Relevant equations

gamma distribution: [itex] \frac{x^{\alpha -1}e^{ \frac{-x}{\beta}}}{ \Gamma (\alpha ) \beta ^{\alpha }} [/itex] with paramenter x>0

beta distribution: [itex] \frac{ \Gamma (\alpha + \beta) x^{\alpha -1}(1-x)^{\beta -1}}{\Gamma (\alpha ) \Gamma (\beta )} [/itex] with paramenter 0<x<1

lognormal distribution: [itex] ( \frac{1}{x \sigma \sqrt{2 \pi }}) e^{ \frac{-(lnx-\mu )^2}{2 \sigma y^2}} [/itex] with parameter x>0

[itex] E(X) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! xf(x) \mathrm{d} x [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I can set up the integrals, but that gets me nowhere.

a. [itex] \int_0^{\infty} \! x^k \frac{x^{\alpha -1}e^{ \frac{-x}{\beta}}}{ \Gamma (\alpha ) \beta ^{\alpha }} \mathrm{d} x [/itex]

b. [itex] \int_0^1 \! x^k \frac{ \Gamma (\alpha + \beta) x^{\alpha -1}(1-x)^{\beta -1}}{\Gamma (\alpha ) \Gamma (\beta )} \mathrm{d} x [/itex]

c. [itex] \int_0^{\infty} \! x^k ( \frac{1}{x \sigma \sqrt{2 \pi }}) e^{ \frac{-(lnx-\mu )^2}{2 \sigma y^2}} \mathrm{d} x [/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Let's do this one first. You will have to use that

[tex] \int_0^{\infty} \! \frac{x^{\alpha -1}e^{ \frac{-x}{\beta}}}{ \Gamma (\alpha ) \beta ^{\alpha }} \mathrm{d} x =1[/tex]

For some alpha and beta. So what you do is

[tex] \int_0^{\infty} \! x^k \frac{x^{\alpha -1}e^{ \frac{-x}{\beta}}}{ \Gamma (\alpha ) \beta ^{\alpha }} \mathrm{d} x = \int_0^{\infty} \! \frac{x^{k+\alpha -1}e^{ \frac{-x}{\beta}}}{ \Gamma (\alpha ) \beta ^{\alpha }} \mathrm{d} x[/tex]

So your alpha in the above integtral will be k+alpha. Now try to adjust the integral in such a way so you can use the above integral. That is, try to have [itex]\Gamma(\alpha+k)[/itex]and [itex]\beta^{\alpha+k}[/itex] in the denominator.

4. Nov 5, 2011 #3
    Okay, thanks. I'll try that.

5. Nov 5, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi ArcanaGold!

In addition to what micro said, you may want to use the property of the gamma function that:
    [tex]\Gamma(z+1)=z \Gamma(z)[/tex]

6. Nov 5, 2011 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For problem (c), change variables to y = ln(x); that will give you something of the form E[exp(k*Y)] for normally-distributed Y. Do you recognize that quantity? (Hint: I'll bet you have seen it before, or it is in your textbook or course notes. If not, it should be.)

RGV

7. Nov 6, 2011 #6
    Okay, I got the first one, and according to the book I have the correct solution. Thanks a lot guys :)

For the second one, (the second and third answers are not provided) I got :

[tex] \frac{ \Gamma (\alpha ) \Gamma (\alpha + k)}{\Gamma (\alpha + \beta + k) \Gamma (\alpha + \beta )} [/tex]

I used the same technique, I think that is right.

Then I get stuck on the last one. Since it's x-1 instead of a variable, I'm not sure what substitution to make here.

8. Nov 6, 2011 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

For the lognormal, first make the substitution t=log(x)...

9. Nov 6, 2011 #8
    [tex]\int_0^{\infty} \! x^k ( \frac{1}{ \sigma \sqrt{2 \pi }}) e^{ \frac{-(t-\mu )^2}{2 \sigma y^2}} \mathrm{d} x [/tex]

where t= ln(x), dt = 1/x

How on earth am I going to integrate x^k?

10. Nov 6, 2011 #9
    should I let some other variable, say u, =x^k?
    Can you do that, make two substitutions in one integral?

11. Nov 6, 2011 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My previous post told you exactly what you have to do. Of course, x = exp(t).

RGV

12. Nov 6, 2011 #11
    [tex] ( \frac{1}{ \sigma \sqrt{2 \pi }}) \int_a^{b} \! e^{tk} e^{ \frac{-(t-\mu )^2}{2 \sigma ^2}} \mathrm{d} t [/tex]

the (new) current integral

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  13. Nov 6, 2011 #12

I like Serena

Homework Helper

To get started on the exponent...

[tex]tk - {(t-\mu)^2 \over 2 \sigma^2}[/tex][tex]
    = {2tk\sigma^2 - (t-\mu)^2 \over 2 \sigma^2}[/tex][tex]
    = {2tk\sigma^2 - t^2 + 2t\mu - \mu^2 \over 2 \sigma^2}[/tex][tex]
    = {- (t^2 - 2t(k\sigma^2 - \mu) + (k\sigma^2 - \mu)^2) + (k\sigma^2 - \mu)^2 - \mu^2 \over 2 \sigma^2}[/tex][tex]
    = {- (t - (k\sigma^2 - \mu))^2 + (k\sigma^2 - \mu)^2 - \mu^2 \over 2 \sigma^2}[/tex]

Now substitute [itex]u=t - (k\sigma^2 - \mu)[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook