Finding Eigenvalues, Eigenvectors, [3]

In summary: I got \begin{bmatrix} 6 \\ 1 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}Yes, you've found an eigenvector with the middle eigenvalue of 6.
shamieh
Consider the system:

$x' = x + y + z$
$y' = 0x + 2y + 3z$
$z' = 0x + 0y + 3z$

a)Find the eigenvalues for the systemSo after doing my $3 \times 3$ matrix I got: $\lambda_1 = -3$, $\lambda_2 = 1$, and $\lambda_3 = 2$ , is this correct?

b)Find an eigenvector for the smallest eigenvalue

So I am getting the eqn(s): $-4v_1 - 6v_2 - 10v_3 = 0$ but I'm stuck on how to solve now.. I am thinking the only way would be to do $v_1 = v_2 =1$ and $v_3 = -1$ so then wouldn't i have $(^1_{1_{-1}})$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi shamieh,

Your $\lambda_1$ should be $3$ instead of $-3$.

How? I got det$(A) = 3\lambda^2 - 9\lambda + 6$

The matrix is 3 x 3, so how can your characteristic polynomial be second-degree? The characteristic polynomial should be $(\lambda -1)(\lambda -2)(\lambda -3) $.

Euge, you are correct. I was doing the 3x3 matrix but forgetting to put my - $\lambda$ within the corresponding columns. I ended up with $\lambda_1 = 1$ , $\lambda_2 = 3$, $\lambda_3 = 2$ Does this seem correct?

for part b) Find an eigenvector for the smallest eigenvalue I got this for my eigenvector \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 4 \\ -2 \end{bmatrix} , is this correct? or should it just be \begin{bmatrix} 4 \\ -2 \end{bmatrix} ? Thanks again in advance for your alls help you are seriously awesome

Also for part c) find an eigenvector for the middle eigenvalue I got \begin{bmatrix} 6 \\ 1 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}

And also for part d) find an eigenvector for the largest eigenvalue I got \begin{bmatrix} -1 \\ -3 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix} then for part e) write the general solution i got:

$X(t) = C_1 \begin{bmatrix} 0\\ 4 \\ 2 \end{bmatrix}e^{t} + C_2 \begin{bmatrix} 6 \\ 1 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix} e^{3t} + C_3 \begin{bmatrix} -1 \\ -3 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix} e^{3t}$

Can anyone verify these solutions. Sorry for the triple post, and thanks again.

shamieh said:
Euge, you are correct. I was doing the 3x3 matrix but forgetting to put my - $\lambda$ within the corresponding columns. I ended up with $\lambda_1 = 1$ , $\lambda_2 = 3$, $\lambda_3 = 2$ Does this seem correct?
Yes, it does -- the eigenvalues are indeed $1,2,3$.

shamieh said:
for part b) Find an eigenvector for the smallest eigenvalue I got this for my eigenvector \begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 4 \\ -2 \end{bmatrix} , is this correct? or should it just be \begin{bmatrix} 4 \\ -2 \end{bmatrix} ? Thanks again in advance for your alls help you are seriously awesome
Since the matrix is $3 \times 3$, conceptually it does not make sense for an eigenvector of this matrix to be $2\times 1$. So you can eliminate the latter option. The former option is incorrect. If say, your matrix is $A$, then any eigenvector $x$ corresponding to the smallest eigenvalue must satisfy $Ax = x$; you can check that your vector does not satisfy this. A suitable eigenvector is $\begin{bmatrix}1\\0\\0\end{bmatrix}$.

shamieh said:
Also for part c) find an eigenvector for the middle eigenvalue I got \begin{bmatrix} 6 \\ 1 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}
Incorrect. A suitable choice for an eigenvector is $\begin{bmatrix}1\\1\\0\end{bmatrix}$.
shamieh said:
And also for part d) find an eigenvector for the largest eigenvalue I got \begin{bmatrix} -1 \\ -3 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix} then for part e) write the general solution i got:

$X(t) = C_1 \begin{bmatrix} 0\\ 4 \\ 2 \end{bmatrix}e^{t} + C_2 \begin{bmatrix} 6 \\ 1 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix} e^{3t} + C_3 \begin{bmatrix} -1 \\ -3 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix} e^{3t}$
None of your eigenvectors are correct, so your final answer is incorrect. For the last eigenvector, $\begin{bmatrix}2\\3\\1\end{bmatrix}$ is a suitable choice.

For the smallest eigenvector how are you getting \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} when you have \begin{bmatrix} 0 & -1 & -1 \\ 0 & -1 & -3 \\ 0 & 0 & -2 \end{bmatrix} which turns to three equations...:

$(0) * v_1 -v_2 -v_3 = 0$
$(0) * v_1 - v_2 -3v_3 = 0$
$(0) * v_1 + (0) * v_2 -2v_3 = 0$

So how are you plugging in a $1$ for $v_1$ when $v_1$ doesn't exist... We multiplied it by $0$...

shamieh said:
For the smallest eigenvector how are you getting \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} when you have \begin{bmatrix} 0 & -1 & -1 \\ 0 & -1 & -3 \\ 0 & 0 & -2 \end{bmatrix} which turns to three equations...:

$(0) * v_1 -v_2 -v_3 = 0$
$(0) * v_1 - v_2 -3v_3 = 0$
$(0) * v_1 + (0) * v_2 -2v_3 = 0$

What do you mean by the "smallest eigenvector"? The vector $\begin{bmatrix}1\\0\\0\end{bmatrix}$ is an eigenvector associated with the smallest eigenvalue $1$. You can see this from your own equations. Your third equation gives $v_3 = 0$. Plugging this back into the first equation, we get $v_2 = 0$. The variable $v_3$ is free to roam. Setting $v_3 = 1$, we obtain $\begin{bmatrix}v_1\\v_2\\v_3\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}1\\0\\0\end{bmatrix}$.

shamieh said:
So how are you plugging in a $1$ for $v_1$ when $v_1$ doesn't exist... We multiplied it by $0$...

I do not understand the question.

Nevermind , I get it now. So for part d) Find an eigenvector for the largest eigenvalue would this \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix} also be correct for the largest eigenvalue vector? because 2 -1 - 1 = 0?

shamieh said:
Nevermind , I get it now. So for part d) Find an eigenvector for the largest eigenvalue would this \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix} also be correct for the largest eigenvalue vector? because 2 -1 - 1 = 0?

How did you get this vector? And what does it have to do with $2 - 1 - 1 = 0$? Please explain.

Ignore my comment, Lol. I understand now. I was thinking way too hard. I am giong to post what I think the general solution is in a second.

so the general solution is: $X(t) = C_1 \begin{bmatrix} 1\\ 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}e^{t} + C_2 \begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix} e^{2t} + C_3 \begin{bmatrix} 2 \\ 3 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix} e^{3t}$

Yes, this is correct. :D

Sorry to be a nuisance Euge, it took me a good 10 minutes to realize that I was solving for what I had and then needed to recursively solve the larger equation. It also took me a moment to notice that you can not have a eigenvector that doesn't contain at least one non-zero. Thanks so much for your help.

1. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are concepts in linear algebra that are used to analyze and describe the behavior of linear systems. Eigenvalues are scalar values that represent the "stretching" or "scaling" factor of a linear transformation, while eigenvectors are the corresponding vectors that do not change direction under the transformation.

2. Why are eigenvalues and eigenvectors important?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important because they provide a way to simplify and understand complex linear systems. They allow us to identify key patterns and properties of a system, such as its stability, direction of motion, and critical points.

3. How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors calculated?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are calculated by solving the characteristic equation of a given linear system. This involves finding the eigenvalues by setting the determinant of the system equal to zero, and then finding the corresponding eigenvectors by solving a system of equations using the eigenvalues.

4. What is the significance of the relationship between eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

The relationship between eigenvalues and eigenvectors is significant because it allows us to decompose a complex system into simpler parts. The eigenvectors form a basis for the linear transformation, and the eigenvalues provide information about the scaling or behavior of the transformation along those directions.

5. How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors used in real-world applications?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors have many real-world applications, including image processing, data compression, and machine learning. They are also used in physics and engineering to analyze the behavior of dynamic systems, such as structures and circuits.