Finding eigenvectors with eigenvalues

In summary, the conversation discusses finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors using the equation AV=λV. The person is curious about what happens if there is a discrepancy between the two systems obtained after doing the matrix arithmetic. They give an example of getting two equations that do not correspond and ask if this is possible and what it means. They also mention other scenarios where the equations yielded are y=-x and y=2x. The other person suggests using a particular example to show the discrepancy and recommends looking at the Wikipedia page for eigenvalues and eigenvectors. They also mention that using incorrect eigenvalues will result in incorrect eigenvectors.
Dusty912

Homework Statement

So just curious about a specific problem that I am worries about running into on my test tomorrow. When trying to find eigen vectors with the eigen values what is there is a discrepancy between the two systems obtained after doing the matrix arithmetic?

such as after using the equation Av=λV and multiplying out all of the values, you end up with two equations that do not correspond. Such as getting y=0 for the top and 2x=3y for the second. is this even possible? and if it is what does it mean?

also looking for explanations for other scenarios such as y=-x and y=2x are the equations yielded. thank you very much for any help. and let me know if I need to go into more detail about what i am asking

Physics news on Phys.org
Dusty912 said:
you end up with two equations that do not correspond
Hi Dusty:

Take a particular example, perhaps using a 2x2 matrix, and show the "two equations" that "do not correspond". Do you know how to find the two Eigen values for a 2x2 matrix?

Regards,
Buzz

well yes I do

by using det(A-λI)

Hi Dusty:

OK. Make up a 2x2 matrix and find its two Eigen values. Then use that result as an example to show what you mean by
"you end up with two equations that do not correspond".

Regards,
Buzz

oh I see well let's say we have eigen values λ=1 and λ=-2 and we compute the eigen vectors with A= (4 2) for the top row and (1 1) for the bottom. Then using AVV, we obtain AV- λV=0 where vector V= (x,y) pluggin these values in and solving yield the top equation to be 4x+2y+1x=0 and the bottom being x+y +y=0. these were the two I was wondering about. because most of the time the same ration of y's and x's are achieved but i did run into one case where they did not, so is this even possible or will they always come out to the same ratio?

btw I did not actually compute the eigen values for this matrix, i just picked random numbers to get a discrepancy.

Hi Dusty:

I confess do not understand the method you are using to find the Eigenvectors. It does not look right to me, but new ways to teach this stuff may have been developed since I learned this stuff many decades ago.

I suggest you take a look at
and specifically at the
3.1 Two dimensional example
Also, it you don't use the correct Eigenvalues, you won't get correct Eigenvectors, so I suggest writing down the quadratic equation in λ you get from
det(A-λI)=0.​
The two values of λ solving this equation are the Eigenvalues.

Regards,
Buzz

Dusty912 said:
oh I see well let's say we have eigen values λ=1 and λ=-2 and we compute the eigen vectors with A= (4 2) for the top row and (1 1) for the bottom. Then using AVV, we obtain AV- λV=0 where vector V= (x,y) pluggin these values in and solving yield the top equation to be 4x+2y+1x=0 and the bottom being x+y +y=0. these were the two I was wondering about. because most of the time the same ration of y's and x's are achieved but i did run into one case where they did not, so is this even possible or will they always come out to the same ratio?

btw I did not actually compute the eigen values for this matrix, i just picked random numbers to get a discrepancy.
The whole point of "eigenvalues" is that the equation [itex]AV= \lambda V[/itex] has an infinite number of solutions. If you have the correct eigenvalues you can't get "two equations that conflict". If you do, then you have the wrong eigenvalues.

1. What are eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are concepts in linear algebra that are used to understand the behavior of linear transformations. Eigenvectors are vectors that do not change direction during a transformation, and eigenvalues are the corresponding scalar values that represent how much the eigenvectors are scaled by during the transformation.

2. Why do we need to find eigenvectors with eigenvalues?

Finding eigenvectors with eigenvalues allows us to understand the behavior of linear transformations and make calculations easier. It also helps us identify important patterns and structures in a dataset or system.

3. How do we find eigenvectors with eigenvalues?

To find eigenvectors with eigenvalues, we need to first solve the characteristic equation for the given matrix. This will give us the eigenvalues. Then, we can plug these eigenvalues back into the original equation to find the corresponding eigenvectors by solving a system of linear equations.

4. Can we have multiple eigenvectors for the same eigenvalue?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple eigenvectors for the same eigenvalue. This is because eigenvectors are not unique and can be scaled by any non-zero scalar value while still representing the same direction.

5. What are the applications of finding eigenvectors with eigenvalues?

There are many applications of finding eigenvectors with eigenvalues, including in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. Some specific examples include using eigenvectors and eigenvalues to analyze the stability of a system, to compress data in image and signal processing, and to solve differential equations in quantum mechanics.