Finding Electric Field and Speed of Electron in a Parallel-Plate Capacitor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 4K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
1,753
Reaction score
143
Figure 19-38 shows an electron entering a parallel-plate capacitor with a speed of v = 5.25 106 m/s. The electric field of the capacitor has deflected the electron downward by a distance of d = 0.626 cm at the point where the electron exits the capacitor.
19-38alt.gif


(a) Find the magnitude of the electric field in the capacitor.
b) Find the speed of the electron when it exits the capacitor.


Part A:
E=F/q, but q is not given
F=ma, but m is not given
F=kQq/r2
I don't know where to start.

Part B:
Compute time:
[tex] \begin{array}{l}<br /> t = \frac{d}{v} \\ <br /> \\ <br /> t = \frac{{0.025m}}{{5.25 \times 10^6 m/s}} = 4.2857 \times 10^{ - 8} s \\ <br /> \end{array}[/tex]

Compute acceleration:
[tex] \begin{array}{l}<br /> y_f = y_i + v_i t + 0.5at^2 \\ <br /> \\ <br /> a = \frac{{y_f - y_i - v_i t}}{{0.5t^2 }} \\ <br /> \\ <br /> a = \frac{{0.626m - 0 - 0t}}{{0.5t^2 }} \\ <br /> \\ <br /> a = \frac{{0.00626m}}{{0.5\left( {4.2857 \times 10^{ - 8} s} \right)^2 }} = 6.81644 \times 10^{12} m/s^2 \\ <br /> \end{array}[/tex]

Compute velocity:
[tex] \begin{array}{l}<br /> v_{y,f} = v_{y,i} + at \\ <br /> \\ <br /> v_{y,f} = 0 + 6.81644 \times 10^{12} \times 4.2857 \times 10^{ - 8} \\ <br /> \\ <br /> v_{y,f} = 292133.33 \\ <br /> \\ <br /> v_f = \sqrt {v_{y,f}^2 + v_x^2 } \\ <br /> \\ <br /> v_f = \sqrt {(292133.33m/s)^2 + (5.25 \times 10^6 m/s)^2} \\ <br /> \\ <br /> v_f = 5.258122 \times 10^6 m/s \\ <br /> \end{array}[/tex]
But this answer is wrong.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are the question sof part A and B?
 
Oops. Maybe that's why I'm confused. I don't know what they're asking :).

I edited the post to include the questions. Thanks for pointing that out.
 
1.)

F=ma where m is the mass of an electron.
E=F/q where q is the charge of the electron

I'll have a look at 2.)
 
Kurdt said:
F=ma where m is the mass of an electron.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking, but I can't trust my answer since I seem to have gotten acceleration wrong in part b, unless my mistake in part b comes after my computation of acceleration.
 
To be honest part b looks ok to me. Do you have the real answer and perhaps I could work backwards? Probably the fact its past midnight here is not helping me think straight ;)
 
Is the answer 6x10^6 m/s? If so I'll tell you how I arrived at that.
 
I don't know what the answer is. The online grading system gave me the red x on the answer I put. In fact, I'm out of guesses, so I can't try 6e6. But I'd still like to know how to do it, and I still need a good value for acceleration for the f=ma part.

Just curious. If you think it's 6e6, then where did we depart in methods?

Thanks for your help so far.
 
To calculate the velocity i used:

V^2=u^2+2as

That was all really as far as acceleration was concerned I concur with yourself. The final answer was 5.99... some other bunch of numbers so i rounded it up.
 
What is u and what is s?

For part A, it gives the units for the answer as N/C.

I used my acceleration value of 6.81644e12 with the mass of an electron, 9.11e-31, and the charge of an electron 1.6e-19 C.

6.81644e12 m/s2* 9.11e-31 kg / 1.6e-19 C
-38.11 N/C

But it says this is wrong too. This problem looks so simple.
 
tony873004 said:
Part B:
Compute time:
[tex] \begin{array}{l}<br /> t = \frac{d}{v} \\ <br /> \\ <br /> t = \frac{{0.025m}}{{5.25 \times 10^6 m/s}} = 4.2857 \times 10^{ - 8} s \\ <br /> \end{array}[/tex]
Redo this calculation. It's off by a factor of 10.
 
Thanks for catching that. It's off by more than that. Now I get
4.76E-09

I'll blame it on the calculator :)
 
u is initial velocity and s is displacement. With the numbers for part a that you've quoted i get 38.81 N/C. I fear perhaps there are just a few computational errors. As far as I can see the method for A is fine just computational errors perhaps (remember it says magnitude aswell) and if you do part b with the formula i used that should be alright.
 
Oh well there you are how did I not spot that!
 
Typos galore in this one! Where I wrote 0.025 should read 0.0225, which is the number I used in the calculator. So I am off by exactly 1 magnitude like Doc Al said, and not more like I thought I was.

The answer for part A is 3881. This is exactly 2 magnitudes off of the answer we were getting, which is not surprising since time was off by 1 magnitude and it gets squared.

Thanks Kurdt and Doc Al. Now I understand :)
 
Was doc al mainly I have to say but its weird cos I tried the time numbers myself and because it was an exact order of magnitude out I did not notice. Apologies.